Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex chicken wings Q’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex chicken wings Q’s

I want to some wings for a first cook on my 22” kettle with the Vortex. I will be using Kingsford original charcoal. I like using whole wings with the tips removed. Some advice to these questions please?

Fill the Vortex to the top with coal?
    Wait to cook until all coals white?
    Foil on the coal grate around Vortex?
    All vents wide open?
    Rotate the lid at intervals to move the lid vent?
    Approx cook time?
    Flip wings halfway?
    Any other tips?

I have researched here on the site and find a range of opinions. I supposed this post will bring the same but thought I’d give it a try anyway. Thanks in advance everyone.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; July 13, 2020, 11:11 AM.

Depending on the charcoal you use, I heap it in a full size chimney. I usually use KBB or Professional. I heap it because this is the only time I pretty much want the top layer to be 80-90% ashed over. By then it collapses quite a bit. You want the coals screamin' hot. That always fills the Vortex up.

I foil around the Vortex. I believe that is a Troutman trick. You use the Vortex itself as a template on a sheet of foil and cut around it. Then place the foil on the charcoal grate and the Vortex over the cut out hole. It does help quite a bit with clean up.

All vents wide open. You want it as hot as possible.

I do not rotate the lid. It does make sense, though. I've never had a problem with even cooking.

I usually do 2-4 dozen at a time. It takes about 40 minutes. I do flip them halfway through. So 20 minutes per side.

I dry them off and place in the fridge in a single layer for at least 2 hours. This drys the skin out which helps them get crispy.

I also like to put a chunk of wood on the cooking grate right over the Vortex for added smokiness.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Thanks for the help Rod!!

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 Not sure if it makes a difference between whole or separated wings though. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can address that. I always separate.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good to me although I don't use foil.

Separation doesn't matter. The only thing I'd add to Rod 's instructions is to watch them. My kettle wide open with a full load of charcoal in the Vortex cooks wings in 30 minutes with a flip at the 15 minute mark. They will cook fast so keep an eye on them.

Let 'er rip !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wings 01.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	880162

Comment

The number one thing.................don't sweat it so much!!!! I've done with and without foil around the vortex and both turned out fine. It's a short cook so a single chimney of hot coals will work just fine and I leave the vents wide open....ya need the O2 for getting it hot. I flip about 2/3rds the way through but that's up to you. Actually one the most important things you can do is make sure the wings are as dry as possible when you put them on.
      Oh and have fun!!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	wings.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	880167

Comment

Those words of advice are even on the coozie you get
        Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool !!

All that. I don't even flip them.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I have it. But I didn’t get the coozie!! 🤣
          I will follow up with a post on my results later today.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here