Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DnG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DnG

How do you guys like using the DnG as a griddle? I can see how it would be really nice as a drip tray but is it any better or worse than a cast iron pan?

I know there are some here that use it - but mine has become a really nice drip tray.
    Last edited by xaugievike; February 23, 2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, but aren't you going to be tempted to foil the DnG for easy cleanup? Personally, I bought a big ass aluminum pizza pan and cut it for a drip pan to use with my XL SnS in my Weber 26.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Possibly but cleanup isn’t really that hard, just scrape it into the garbage. Who knows I may cheat now and then

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack +1 for my Weber 22.

I’ve used it for smash burgers. You need to be careful managing the heat under it. I would recommend using only a half chimney of charcoal otherwise it will be too hot. You have to move it on and off the heat otherwise. But you do get an nice sear on the burgers.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I kind of assumed since it’s such a direct heat that you wouldn’t need much. I only did half a chimney in the vortex with a CI pan and that got reaaalllly hot quick

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr I would start with even less than a 1/2 chimney. It did get hot.

I use mine solely as a drip tray. I also cover it in foil for easy clean up.

Comment

It makes a nice griddle - when I remember to grab it instead of the cast iron. Easier clean up as there is not nearly as much fuss about the seasoning. You do, as others have said, use a lot less charcoal then you might think. Start with half
      was much as you think you need the first few times.

Awesome drip pan, of course, and easy clean up (I don’t bother wrapping it, but worse case use dishwasher pod or powder and let it soak for a few hours, then rise off).

Comment

Thanks all. Ever have any warping issues because it got too hot?

Comment

• pknj
          pknj commented
          Editing a comment
          Not me, but it did discolor once when I used way too much fuel, which I think was the point I pulled it off the heat. Seems to heat pretty evenly, too.

I use the DNG more as a drip pan, but do cook in it as well. I expect that it can warp if overheated, as mine is slightly warped after a year or two of use.

I use it for sautéing veggies, shrimp and such more than I use it for straight up frying. I’ve used it for smash burgers, but since I have grillgrates, tend to use the flat side of those for burgers more. It makes a mean big batch of shrimp scampi on the grill!

That said, it’s only advantage over a cast iron skillet on the grill would be size, and maybe quicker heating and cooling.
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 23, 2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I used mine once for some potatoes but haven't really used it since. I just haven't really had the need for a griddle on my grill. I want to try it for smashburgers sometime though.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t have a need till I did the smash burgers either! Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Maybe David Parrish should make a cast iron version? That might be nice.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I'm thinking too. There needs to be a certain mass to it for me to buy one.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's a good idea. I'd be down for that.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I would buy that for sure! Maybe David needs to do a road trip to South Pittsburg TN and talk to the folks at Lodge!

The DnG is so pretty that I use it pretty much as a foil-covered drip pan. Every now and then I'll use it as a skillet because it fits so perfectly on the grill with the SnS going strong. I don't sear in it, but at med high skillet temps it works well and cleans up nicely.

It sure is handy to have.

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the extra wide heavy duty foil to cover mine when I use it as a drip pan - even the handles. I don't know how or why, but invariably, when I take it out of the kettle there somehow is grease UNDER the foil after using it as a drip pan. The foil still makes clean up easier, along with a Brillo pad... I still can't figure how how grease from a brisket or butt is getting under the foil.

• Smokerstoker
            Smokerstoker commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually ordered this a few days ago. It should be coming in tomorrow. I wasn't really going to wrap it in foil but now I think that is how I am going to use it.

DnG Pan is GREAT as a drip pan, and helps deflect air towards the SnS. It's GOOD as a griddle, but won't replace a dedicated griddle.

Funny y'all mention cast iron. I was actually thinking about a CI pan to fit over the SnS this morning!
          Last edited by David Parrish; February 24, 2020, 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a sign David!

I only use mine as a drip pan. Although that is due to the fact that I have a cast iron griddle for the Weber Gourmet BBQ system grate as well as the Arteflame insert for my 26” kettle.

Comment

Made smashburgers on my new DnG last night. Used a half chimney of Kingsford Professional since that's what I've got, and I definitely ended up with a slightly warped pan, it must have gotten too hot and warped from the heat / pressure of the smashing.

Any way for me to flatten it back out or do I just have a wobbly griddle now? It's not visually noticeable but definitely seems to be slightly bowed along the long axis.

Burgers were great though...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	smashburger.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	881496

Comment

I picked up a Lodge 9x16 CI griddle @ Lowe’s for $34.
            Made smash burgers with it on the Weber Performer,,,,worked fantastic
            until towards the end I was running outta fuel,,,, not quite as hot but still good !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Davis Berryman View Post
              Made smashburgers on my new DnG last night. Used a half chimney of Kingsford Professional since that's what I've got, and I definitely ended up with a slightly warped pan, it must have gotten too hot and warped from the heat / pressure of the smashing.

Any way for me to flatten it back out or do I just have a wobbly griddle now? It's not visually noticeable but definitely seems to be slightly bowed along the long axis.

Burgers were great though...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	smashburger.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	881496
              Pan got too hot in one specific area, causing uneven expansion of the metal. You can try heating the pan in a gasser.... get it hot as it'll go.... and you may stretch the rest of the pan and even it out. You can also try beating on it with a rubber mallet... just don't go overboard.

As always you can reach out to us via the website and we'll assist further.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here