Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxing out kettle space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maxing out kettle space

Ok, as some of you know, I've got a big cook coming up in May (daughter's wedding), and I am trying to determine how to maximize the space on each cooker I've already got, without actually going out and buying another smoker. I may still borrow a smoker or two - my son in law has an electric smoker for example, that will probably handle a few butts.

Anyway, here's the question, posed last night to the SnSGrills Facebook group, and unanswered after 10-12 hours.

1. Is there clearance under the SnSGrills elevated grate for a typical boston butt? My thoughts are "no", but I might be wrong. I've not measured a butt thickness ever, despite smoking many hundreds of them over the years, and I don't have any in the freezer to check now. I have a Hovergrill, and there for sure is not enough clearance under it (2").

2. A number of years ago, after getting the SNS, but before getting the DNG, I smoked 2 butts on the main grate, and 1 on what was at the time a pristine new charcoal grate next to the SNS, and recall it taking 1-2 hours longer down there. Now that I tend to keep the DNG down there, I am wondering if I bought the roasting rack for the DNG, and plopped a butt down there, would there be enough airflow to cook with it sitting on top of the DNG.

I know its probably pushing it to get more than 2 butts on the Performer, but if I can get 3 or 4 on there, it helps get the cook done in fewer batches.

Thanks!

Jim

On the top rack I don’t know however you may be able to do a bone out butt there?

as for the bottom rack certainly.
    more important there is a good 3-5 hours for smoke n flavor and such. These could be moved to an oven after that.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      This may be the best idea of all, 3-5 hour smoke for the smoke n flavour and the oven.
      The only thing that may suffer would be the bark.
      But it is brilliant.

I've never been able to fit boneless butts under it; I do buy from Costco so the butts tend to be larger then what I can buy at super markets.
    Last edited by Loren; February 3, 2020, 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Can you cook them with the snake charcoal method?

Comment

Thanks guys, I think the answer seems to be that while one can cook down on the charcoal grate level, next to the SNS, probably not clearance under the elevated grate to put butts on the main level, plus on the elevated grate.

I'll probably just go with the 2 I can fit on the kettle, but am looking for some elevated grates that will let me increase my offset capacity from 6-8 butts. I think it will have the same issues, i.e. 50 degrees hotter than the main grate, but I can rotate things, and probably fit another 4 or 5 at that level.

Comment

Another option would be to pick up a cheap $20 used kettle on FB Marketplace or Craigslist and cook 2 butts on that one as well. With how forgiving pork butts are and your experience on a Kettle you probably wouldn't even need to monitor the grill temp all that closely if you don't have a second thermometer. Should be able to get an acceptable temp without too much fussing.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I monitor Facebook and Craigslist, and it’s rare to see a kettle or WSM for sale anywhere near me. I guess folks around here hang onto their stuff. I saw a PBC local once in the past couple of years, and someone beat me to it.

Ok, well fine. You can use my kettles.

Comment

Wish I lived closer to let you borrow one of my kettles.

Comment

You know you wanted to buy that XL SnS why not do it and get yourself a 26?

Comment

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fefall is a known scam, as revealed by a quick search with Google...

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK but the point is new kettles are cheap if you look around. I paid $150 for my last 22" anniversary model. Why stuff a bunch of meat in a tight space when the better way to go is increase your inventory of space.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman, I was just looking for ways to maximize the space on the cookers I have, so that I could avoid bringing in another cooker. To be honest, I MAY still end up with a WSM 22, as that seems to maximize space for the footprint. I am also pondering an on the cheap UDS build using 22" Weber grates from Home Depot and a food safe drum for $50 from a local place that reconditions drums.

How about a Smoke EZ for your kettle? That would more than double your grate space.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting option, basically turns your kettle into a WSM. I think for $200 though I would just buy a WSM.

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris have you talked yourself into a WSM yet? I know you’re contemplating but just do it! I love my 22”

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Andrrr I’m almost there, haha.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here