Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard battery life when powering fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard battery life when powering fan

Fireboard claims a battery life of up to 24 hours, but what about when powering a fan using the Drive cable? I got a Pit Viper last week and am installing the adapter this week in one of my Weber Performers. Hopefully will smoke some chuck roasts on Thursday. Has anyone used the Fireboard to power a Pit Viper without plugging into a power source? I'm trying to figure out if I can start with a full charge and let it run or if I need either an extension cord or battery pack to keep it going for the full cook.

I have never tried, but I suspect you'll need power for a long cook. I think Fireboard recommends having it plugged in when powering the fan.

Comment

I'm going to go with; you're going to need an external power source. You should be good with a 200W battery pack for most cooks. I personally use a 400W pack. I've run 23 hour cooks with it and had plenty left to keep going.

If you're getting a battery pack and plan on using the inverter remember you're going to lose a little converting DC to AC so bigger is better.

Comment

I haven't watched it closely enough to give you an exact calculation, but I can confirm that the battery life is noticeably shorter when powering the viper. Depending on the length of my cook, I plug the Fireboard power cable into an extension cord just to be safe.

Comment

I think the fan will draw too much power to expect the battery to last that long. I agree, best to find a power source.

Comment

I usually just plug mine in while I'm using the fan, especially for a long cook. I have had the internal battery last 5-6 hours without plugging it in, but not sure how much longer than that it would last.

Comment

I agree with others. I can run it for 5 hours without an external power source, but the time depends heavily on temp outside, how much the fan has to work (is it idling at 15-20% or running higher) et.c.

I always plug in a power bank (used for charging any mobile device), and I'm good. I like it because I don't need to connect it to a wall outlet. When it's raining I simply place the powerbank/battery pack underneath the grill.

Comment

If I am running the fan, I always plug it in to the wall. I have never timed it before, but I just don't trust the battery to go the whole cook if I am cooking overnight. Especially if it is cold out, which it usually is in MN. :/

Comment

Looks like I'll be plugging in. Might have to run a test at some point when I can keep a close eye on it to get an idea of how long it'll last on it's own, knowing that it will vary based on other factors from cook to cook.

As always, everyone's input was greatly appreciated!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here