Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex: Any use for one in a WSM or Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex: Any use for one in a WSM or Kamado?

I’ve been browsing Vortex posts. Most of them focus on cooking chicken. I was wondering if anyone uses a vortex to manage their fires in a WSM or Kamado? I have an Akorn, not a ceramic Kamado. I also have an 18 inch WSM and a Weber kettle with SNS.

Thanks!

I have a vortex and an SnS for my kettle. The vortex isn’t so much for managing your fire, more for maximizing it.

Comment

With the 3 vents on the bottom of the wsm and the one at the top, it seems that you can create your own circulation without the vortex. When ya open one vent at the bottom,air rushes in. Hence the vortex. Like a fire tornado on an open pit. Wish I had a camera inside my wsm to see how it swirls. Sometimes on mine, when it’s chugging along you see one vent with no smoke coming out and on one of other vent smoke is blowing out.

Comment

I use the Vortex for a lot of things. It's is great for chicken, but also for searing steaks. I have an Akorn also, but I have never tried the Vortex in the Akorn. I suppose that you could use it in the Akorn if you don't have the heat deflector. It might work for indirect cooking. Turn the Vortex wide side up, and build the fire around the outside of it, and use the inner ring to cook indirect. I use my Vortex in the kettle. Never really tried it anywhere else. It does work a treat in the kettle though.

I cannot speak for the WSM since I don't have one.

Comment

I used the Vortex on my Broil King Keg Kamado. It worked great for wings!

Comment

As others have said it concentrates the heat so any vessel that will accommodate it should work equally as well I would think. It's a cheap enough accessory, just buy it and play with it.

Someone mentioned using it upside down. I tried doing vertical chicken with it one time with the setup you see here. Really didn't like the result. The top got all the heat and began to burn before the bottom leg portion was done. Never tried it that way again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vortex whole chick 7-18 01.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	706218

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              You forgot to insert the beer can!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang it I knew there was something I did wrong.

He couldn’t, the beer "cans" were in both his right and left hand and one was full and the other was only 1/4 empty

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here