Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi temp sealant for adding a fan port to kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi temp sealant for adding a fan port to kettle

Does anyone use any type of hi temp (silicone?) sealant for adding fan or probe ports to a kettle? Or in general does everyone stick to the high temp tape?

Either way, can you recommend the sealant/tape used with success?

Weber Probe Grommets are on all my Weber cookers...

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Great question. I was also thinking of putting one on my camp chef smoke vault

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea my kettles have them mounted in. You to drill a 1 1/4" hole with a step drill bit, file down smooth, spray paint the edges then work the grommet into the opening. You use the top port for your temp probe and fish the wires through the bottom for the meat probes.

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that Troutman Thanks a million

Troutman Yeah i realized after posting that i wouldnt need any sealant on this. But for the pit viper port...

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t seal my viper port on the kettle but it’s pretty tight. You probably don’t have to.

I went to mcmastercarr online. Searched by specs. I can’t renember which one I picked for the PBC port.
      Last edited by Polarbear777; March 12, 2019, 11:30 AM.

I have not liked the look of the pit viper mods done with tape.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack yeah i dont either which is why i was wondering if anyone used any high temp silicone. i have found stuff rated to 500 degrees but not sure if that high enough. Ive gotten 500 plus with the vortex blasting away.

I don't understand why you are using tape on a pit viper port for a kettle. You drill a hole and mount the port directly to the kettle wall, they don't leak a bit. You're overthinking the process. Been using mine going one 2 years with no problem whatsoever. Kettles have a lot more leak potential then those little ports.

On my WSMs, you do use the tape to cover the extras holes not used on the vent, but it's the same color as the aluminum so you don't even notice it's there.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      What Troutman said.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. Good to know.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I second Troutman - don't overthink it. I've got a Party Q adapter on my Performer, and just drilled the hole for it with a step bit, and installed the adapter, which comes with its own high temp kill plug.

I see a lot of guys doing this for some reason.

Click image for larger version  Name:	maxresdefault.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	649105
    Last edited by Attjack; March 12, 2019, 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Ridiculous and unnecessary

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That is nonsense. You don't need all that tape. I for sure don't see leakage on my adapter like that. The curvature of the kettle is so small in the area of that 1" hole for the fan adapter, you sure don't need it for sealing purposes. Pretty sure there was an o-ring with the adapter too.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I installed several of these in kettles and never with any tape or sealant. They are plenty tight.

In the PBC i did use sealant but that was to make a rain shield for the fan and seal the shield it to the barrel so I can just leave it attached. I have the electronics in a deck box so everything can be run in any weather

McMaster Carr has sealant for furnaces that goes over 2000F if you think it’s necessary.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here