Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex

Why did I wait so long before spending $40 to make the best wings ever??? I am obsessed now been on a tear buying new rubs, making my own and cooking wings. A little trick I found so that the lump charcoal doesn’t fall through the grate is too load a bit of briquettes to the top of the chimney starter so when you pour it in they block the lump from falling through.

đź‘ŤThat will do it.

Comment

I do love me some Vortex wings!

Comment

• gmascolo51
        gmascolo51 commented
        Editing a comment
        You made me buy that Tsunami Spin as I saw in a previous thread it was good on wings and you were spot on!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on! Glad you liked it! gmascolo51

I need to get the vortex out! Just picked up a free kettle for helping some friends move. Guess I am back in the game!

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Guess you gotta get another SnS now.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, already gave one away. I will be just fine with the Vortex. Steve B

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You should, it is a wing cooking machine! BRic

Vortex is the bomb for chicken!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Yup...

Comment

A Vortex has been in my Amazon wish list for about a year. This thread is making me want to visit the wish list...

Comment

• gmascolo51
            gmascolo51 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pull the trigger you will love it.

• DoubleUpOrQuit
            DoubleUpOrQuit commented
            Editing a comment
            It'll be here in a few days gmascolo51

This is the post from Troutman that fired up a mini-MCS episode in my brain and sent my fingers dancing on the keyboard over to Big Poppa Smokers for a Vortex. Pay attention to his recommendations on the grate-level temps. They're spot on.

Kathryn

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            That was the thread that made me pull the trigger too. Havent looked back since. Its the only way ill do chicken wings/thighs now.

To damn good.

I also watched someone do kebabs on it, will have to give that a whirl as well.

Comment

I personally think that bang for the chicken buck, the Vortex is a clear winner.

Comment

Anyone have any issues/concerns with the 4 or 5 spot welds coming loose? I was thinking of adding a couple 1 inch beads along the seam.

Comment

So who makes this accessory?

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I love the Vortex for steak as well - so far moreso than the SnS. Seems like the funnel shape gets a much hotter (and taller!) flame going for the sear portion, albeit it over a smaller surface area than the SnS. But I've been really pleased with throwing raw steaks directly over the flamethrowing Vortex for the initial sear and then moving them off to finish thereafter. I just like this method over the reverse sear b/c it's easier and only requires one charcoal dump. Only drawback is that the hot space can only accommodate 2 steaks max at a time, but I've successfully cooked 8 this way by shuffling pairs in and out of the sear zone.

Comment

I did steaks on it one day too as the grill was already setup and was being lazy in that I didn’t want to drag the SnS out of the shed. Worked great, I did push the vortex off to a side but the sear was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by gmascolo51 View Post
                    I did steaks on it one day too as the grill was already setup and was being lazy in that I didn’t want to drag the SnS out of the shed. Worked great, I did push the vortex off to a side but the sear was awesome.
                    Yeah, You can blast a steak with that baby!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here