Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waited too long for the Smoke EZ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waited too long for the Smoke EZ...

Whelp, I'm really kicking myself right now. I was waiting to see if the Smoke EZ would be discounted for Labor Day, and I just checked their website to find that orders have been put on hold due to "manufacturing and distribution" issues. They say they hope to reopen the store in the next six to twelve months, but in my experience, that probably means the doors are shuttered for good. I certainly hope not. From what I can gather, the company is really a one-man show who probably found a manufacturer to build the product to his specs. That can be really hard when you run into issues with the manufacturer. I hope for their sake (and for mine too, I REALLY want one of these!) that it gets worked out quickly.

Last edited by nnifnairb; August 31, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Reckon ya might hit ePay, Amazon, mebbe luck into some already distributed stock.
    Also reckon it likely won't be Sale Price, but without 182.6-365 day wait...
    Good Luck, an Happy Huntin!!!

Comment

• nnifnairb
      nnifnairb commented
      Editing a comment
      eBay may be an option, or other classifieds, but Amazon's a no-go. They only sold through their site.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Unnerstood.
      My thoughts are: If there's gonna be a potential minimum 6-12 month delay, possibly a permanent discontinuance of a product ya really wanna git, why, I'd exhaust every possible resource available, quick like, before others see that, an make yer score while ya can.
      I wish ya best of luck!

It's a cool product - it turns the kettle into a WSM.

Comment

I have had somewhat of a love/hate relationship with my 26.75" version. I love the fact I can turn my 26.75" kettle into a HUGE WSM and PBC, but I hate that the top narrows to the point of not being able to seal the lid and body properly for decent temp control at lower cooking temps. Here are just a few of my observations from the past couple of years:

Love:
      1.) You can hang chicken & ribs similar to the PBC. I haven't tried hanging butts & briskets, but I'm sure it's more than doable.
      2.) You can bake some excellent pizza. In these parts we prefer Sicilian style pizza and this thing will kick out some great pizza cooking at temps around 475°-500°. I'm pretty sure you can jack up the temps using lump and opening up all of the vents to max, we just haven't had the need to do so...yet.
      3.) Being able to use most of the 26.75" grate while smoking, versus approximately 2/3 of a grate using other indirect methods
      4.) The massive stainless steel bowl that comes with it can be used in a variety ways, including coating ribs and wings when not being used as a catch pan/water pan.
      5.) Pre-drilled hole for temp probes
      6.) 2 levels for grates
      7.) Great seal with the kettle. The fit is tight enough I have to use a rubber mallet to gently coax the two to mate up. If only the top sealed half as good. See below.

Hate:
      1.) Poor fit at the top for the lid results in poor temp control and dirty smoke for smoking at temps below 275°. This thing likes to rock at 275°, which I like for most of my smoking needs, but it can and does produce some dirty smoke. I have a feeling mine is an anomaly as I have not read anything on other forums about other people having this issue.
      2.) This is more of a minor inconvenience, you lose the ability to use the lid catcher on the back of the grill and have to resort in finding a place to lay the lid when you are checking on your cook.

Still working on or yet to try:
      1.) I bought a gasket kit for the lid, but I have yet to install it. I'm not sure how the gasket would hold up to high temp grilling and am afraid of making a bigger mess for myself. I guess I'm scared of the unknown.
      2.) One of these days I will move the SnS from Lil' Red (my 22.5" kettle) over to the big grill and see how that would work with the Smoke E-Z instead of using the snake method for low & slow. If you dare me, I just might try it out this weekend.
      3.) Two level cooking. I have yet to knock the dust off of the wallet to spring for a second grate. I think one of those spinning grates from David Parrish might be on my wish list to Santa this year. While I am at it, I might as well put the SnS XL on the list too.

Parting comments:
      At the time, I was originally in the market for the smaller 22.5" version to go with the then newly purchased Lil' Red. I had always wanted a 22.5" WSM and I thought with the Smoke E-Z I could have the best of both worlds without sacrificing one for the other. As luck would have it, my local dealer was out of the 22.5", but for only $30 more I could have his last 26.75" Smoke E-Z. Cool beans, sign me up! Unfortunately, there's a side story to this fairy tale that I would rather not rehash here as it deals with the local dealer and not the actual product. But I digress...Would I buy this again? Yes I would. Should you be able to get your hands on one for your grill, do yourself a favor and buy the "S" stainless steel hooks from PBC. They are the cat's meow when it comes to hanging food. I apologize for being late to the party, but let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Comment

I own a SmokeEZ for my 26" and it is a beast. I've been smoking my Thanskgiving turkey for the past few years with great results. However, I also have a BGE, Traeger, Weber Performer, Texas Pit and Summit Gas grill in my active rotation so the 26" EZ does not get much action. I would consider selling it if someone were interested.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          dshaffes Have you had any issues with leakage as I mentioned above?

• dshaffes
          dshaffes commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, and I installed a gasket along the top which did the trick.

I'm waiting for a Smoke EZ for the Ranch Kettle.

Comment

Yeah
          and is there no one els around making a similar quality product?

cheers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here