Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After years of being a charcoal starter cheapskate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After years of being a charcoal starter cheapskate...

Huskee I finally bought a Weber brand chimney. It's bigger than my trusty rusty bargain market unit. Honestly it wasn't that much more expensive. It's weird the things I cheap out on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180712_183532.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	531556
    Last edited by Attjack; July 13, 2018, 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot how to spell "Huskee"

Don't feel too awful bad, brother.
    I still have this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	531559

Fer a handle, it uses channel locks, an gloves

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Those #10 food cans are very handy. I first started using them when Boy Scout Master had each one of us on 50 mile hike carry one strapped to our backpack. They were equipped with a coat wire handle and we cooked in them, gathered water, washed clothes, dishes, etc..Also, they make plenty of noise travelling down the trail to let bears know we are coming. That was nearly 50 years ago.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I continued backpacking for about 40 years after scouts, and always carried one. My family continued using them through 40 years of tent camping. Again, great for gathering water from camp spigot, and wonderful for boiling up water on camp stove for dishes or bathing.
      Doesn't look like yours would hold water though.

• SMO
      SMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it Mr. Bones !!!

I had a old bargain one too, now I have two Weber ones, they’re pretty nice in comparison

Comment

Great lookin campfire! It’s cool that the chimneys are keepin watch.

Comment

I use a $10 harbor freight heat gun

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a torch now for starting the Primo. But I still like a chimney for hot and fast cooks like chicken, pizza, etc. Seems like a torch or heat gun would take some time to get all the coals raging.

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          You would be surprised. The heat gun produces not only enough heat to start a fire, but it forces air to the fire. It kicks up a fire faster than I thought it would. Much faster than a torch.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Well it's already on my Harbour Freight list so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Like the Weber charcoal starters. Never quite figured out the purpose of the bail handle. You're sure not going to use that with a chimney full of hot coals! And when it's empty the regular side handle works fine. I'm sure I'm missing something somebody will point out and it will be another Duuhh! moment for me!

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          It's just for added stability when dumping coals. Especially if it happens to be a bit of a reach. I like it.

Frozen Smoke I use the bail handle - not to lift by put with a second hand to help control the dumping of the coals. I just use it because its there, I guess I never thought about it, since I've only had Weber chimneys.

Comment

Hmm, guess I can see that now. Because I rarely if ever cook with briquettes I only use them for starting my wood in my stick burner. I just grab the handle with my welding gloves on and dump in the fire box and then move the coals to the center with my wood poker and stack wood on top.

I always put the Weber charcoal starter with briquettes in and put it on top of my propane burner to start the coals. Takes about 5 minutes and they are red hot almost to the top. Maybe I should just fill the Weber with kindling splits instead of briquettes to start my larger splits. Heck a bag of charcoal would last me a year!
          Only drawback I can see is I'm going to have a flaming a$$ torch to move from the propane burner to the fire box instead of a chimney full of hot coals!! Things could get tricky!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Well the charcoal does seem to help establish a stable temp base for the sticks.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Frozen Smoke
            I've always used briquettes to start my stickburners. Quick, easy, reliable.
            Sure, I could do it with smaller splits, but, like ya said, I'd haveta hit th Binford catalog to find a suitable torch.

I only use my chimney to sear steaks and for that, I use an old Camp Chef jumbo. My Weber chimney is too small for searing. I always start with my torch these days.

Comment

I cheaped out at first until it rusted away, then got the Weber. Wish I got it first since it is far superior to the first one I had. Now I gots 2 and a PBC half starter.

Comment

I'm always down with doing more with less. But the Weber chimneys have the advantage of doubling as a measuring cup when dealing with the SnS and such.

Comment

I've always had one. A couple balls of paper and a lighter and give it a bit of time. Took it with me to the family reunion about a month ago, and was glad I did. My uncle was using {{shudder}} lighter fluid.

Comment

• OSB
                  OSB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bring bbq gear to picnics I'm not cooking at and it never fails that it is needed. Welding gloves, chimneys, grill grates and thermapens are always a hit.

Built this when Click image for larger version

Name:	20170617_153016.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	532079 building the smoker leftover smoke stack

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Built to Last, amigo!

• xaugievike
                  xaugievike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  start a fire and get a workout in. Multitasking.

• Razor
                  Razor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would love to hear what the archeologists think this was used for when they dig it up some day.

I absolutely love my weber chimney. Makes it soooo easy

Comment

Get a Mayo Knife!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here