Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vortex and pizza stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vortex and pizza stone

Im going to preface this with the fact i just got the vortex and ive never used a pizza stone before, lol.

BUT, i was thinking. Has anyone put a pizza stone right on top of the vortex? Im thinking that stone should get blazing hot (ie close to perfect for pizza) but im worried about it cracking. Any insight?

I'd be worried about it cracking, too. Even if cracking isn't an issue, I'd also be concerned that you'd be incinerating the bottom of the crust while the top cooks too slowly.

I use a pizza steel on my gasser and I'm still hunting for the burner settings that will give me the temperature "sweet spot" where the top and bottom of the pie are done at exactly the same time.

FWIW, if you haven't bought a stone yet, you might seriously consider a steel instead. We have both and now only use the steel, both indoors and on the grill.

Comment

Yeah, I would not advise this. I could see it cracking, but even if it doesn't, you will burn the heck out of your pizza. I've had my dial thermo wrapped after reading 850 F +, while the Vortex was rolling.

I agree with MBMorgan , I would switch to either steel or cast iron. I love to use this baking pan by Lodge. (P143) The handles feel great in your hands too. Plenty of room for gloves or a towel. HUGE plus!

Comment

I would advise over the vortex with YouTube video.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          "This jus in: Enormous wild fire in New Jersey! Film at 11!!!!"

Heh. Sounds like i will not be trying this

Comment

It'll crack. You could try to use the vortex to keep the fire away from the stone. You want your fire around the 2/3 of the edge of the kettle, and the stone off centered away from fire.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_194500.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	529460

Comment

You actually need heat from the top just as much as from the bottom, so you would get a charcoal crust without finishing the top.
              I’ve done this before (not on the vortex, but would be worse with the vortex).

Comment

And thats why places like this rock. Saved me a crust and a stone, lol

Comment

I have used the Vortex with a pizza stone set on a rack several inches above the Vortex, and it worked really well. Definitely NOT directly on top of Vortex.

Comment

Hmm, was thinking about this set up today for making pita/laffa, and came across this thread. When done with a pizza stone in the oven you heat to 500. Maybe not having toppings to deal with may be the difference. Or I’ll use my Lodge skillet. I’ll report back.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awaitin th fruits of yer experimentation...happen to have mebbe a kettle, an some CI around.
                      Always lookin to learn...

So, I put almost a full chimney into the Vortex
                    wide side up. Used my HoverGrill and then a pizza stone. My Smoke was registering high 500s and then HHH in the indirect area. My stone read that within minutes but I forgot to temp it again with the Infrared. Wouldn’t have been that high most of the time because of the constant opening. The pita/laffa only took a little over a minute on each side. They were good but clearly there is not enough moisture in a kettle for this type of bread - they were more crispy than soft & chewy. I’ve made pizza in my kettle before without the Vortex & I think I’ll try this out next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF92F851-324B-469E-874B-BE74982C510E.jpeg
Views:	530
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	746607Click image for larger version

Name:	1F58E6FB-7B63-49C5-BA5D-EABB1632910D.jpeg
Views:	492
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	746608Click image for larger version

Name:	AA0AEC58-E5E8-44CE-B198-CC3CE3470F77.jpeg
Views:	506
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	746609

Comment

• barelfly
                      barelfly commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know it’s not the chew you wanted, but those look wonderful!

That is a well used pizza stone. You might try a water bath next to the vortex for some moisture.

Comment

• The Burn
                      The Burn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I learned how to toss pizzas many years ago in college and have had that particular stone about 15 years. Someday I’d like to have a wood burning pizza oven, which has more moisture containment than a kettle ever can, but until then I’ll keep experimenting and trying to duplicate it at home. Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here