Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Low 'n Slow on my new SnS = Qualified success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Low 'n Slow on my new SnS = Qualified success

So, last night after it was decided we weren't going to go out I got The Itch. I mean, I've got this new SnS and all I've done is two trial runs and seared a Sous Vide ribeye. I must cook ribs! So after a quick trip to the grocery store for ribs, rub & sauce it's time to cook!

Dusted with Famous Daves' Rib Rub and let 'em sit while I went to the liquor store & got the SnS fired up & temp dialed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	446563

Temp ran up to the 250-260 area and then settled in at 235 after about 30 minutes. Good enough, let's get these puppies on there. Temp stayed at 235 for the first 40 minutes after the ribs went on then dropped to 225 and sat there like a rock for the next 3ish hours. Perfect. It's almost like I know what I'm doing.

Name:	IMG_3681.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	446558

Three and a halfish hours later, time to start checking if we're done. Nope.

Name:	IMG_3683.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	446561

45 minutes later I got what looked like a good bend test and pulled them off. Cut the rack in half, left half dry & sizzled Stubbs Spicy on the other.

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	446562

Time to dig in!

Name:	IMG_3689.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	446560

Turns out the bend test wasn't quite an accurate indicator of doneness here. They needed maybe another half hour as some of the meatier ribs don't come clean off the bone. I also needed more smoke, I probably should have loaded the wood more toward the lit side of the SnS for a shorter cook like this & thrown on a couple more chunks about an hour in.

Overall pretty successful, I learned some things & the Last Minute Ribs were pretty damn tasty. They must have been, I stood in the kitchen and ate half the rack.

Attached Files

Looks good! Did you temp them before taking them off? My racks of ribs have been taking 5-6 hours at 225 on the pellet smoker.

Comment

For a first run, I would say you came out just fine. Don't fret the little things. The good thing is, you managed the fire well. That is 90% of the battle. Anyone can apply a rub or a sauce. Not everyone can control a fire. You kept your temps steady, everything else will fall into place. You are well on your way to mastering the SNS.

Nice work and thanks for sharing your results!

Comment

Beautiful! Great job!

Comment

Looking Great!

Comment

Nice job! What Spinaker said.

Comment

I'm with Spinaker. Controlling the fire is most important. Everything else will come with more experience, and you do get to eat the "mistakes".

Comment

WTG! Awesome cook!

Comment

Looks like they turned out fine. Did you fill the SnS up all the way or just partially? Wondering why you’re not getting enough smoke?
                  I fill mine up after getting 10 or so going then set a couple nice chunks of cherry or apple wood on it. One right on the hot coals and another about 6” away. Works really good for me?

Comment

• mnavarre
                    mnavarre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think I overfilled it a bit, honestly. So I went with a few smaller chunks. Should have added more part way through.

How big are the pieces did you use? I cut mine A little smaller than your fist

Comment

First cooks are a lot of fun. Full of anticipation and big reward at the end! Great job and thanks for the post!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

AAH! That SNS is a thing of beauty isn't it! Nice cook!

Comment

mnavarre, Congratulations on Your Ribs‼️ I Have Two Questions: 1 - Did You Use Water in the S 'n S Resevoir❓,
                          2 - Where In The H--- Was My Invitation❓❓
                          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
                          Last edited by Danjohnston949; January 29, 2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Yessir, happy, happy, happy, on a good lookin cook. What Spinaker said!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here