Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best weber 22 grill grate upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best weber 22 grill grate upgrade?

I want to get a stainless steel grate for my 22. I assumed I could easily locate hinged stainless steel grates both with and without the center cutout. But no luck finding one with the center cutout. Is the "gourmet system" even thing worth it? If you have one do you use it much?

I used my Gourmet system so much I wore the thing out. Loved it. Finally got some Craycort cast iron grates, then gave all that to my Son. The WSCGC has the Gourmet system. Glad to have it back.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like I'll want the gourmet system. But I don't think I want cast iron out here in the humidity of the redwood forest.

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Down here in the Texas rust, cast iron is a love-hate thing. More love though.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I always have some serious maintenance to do when I get down here from Oregon. I try leave the grills super clean, but there is always some mold in the kettle regardless. So I heat the grills up as hot as I can get them, and scour them relentlessly.

Grills, grills, grills....they come in so many different configurations, it's almost impossible to chose the one that suits your needs. The problem really is when you have so many different configurations in how you want to use your 22" or any Weber Kettle and WSM. Grilling machine? Low and slow smoker? Combination of smoke and sear? My performer came with the gourmet grid system. Gave it to my son to upgrade his Weber 22. A few years ago, I bought the grill system that is cast iron, has four different sections. Believe me when I say, I live in rust country (Far Northwest Washington, so close to Canada, sometimes I spell the "English" way, rather than American). Along with all the cast iron cookwear I possess, the grill gets treated the same. Stainless grates never seem to last more than a couple years but they get more expensive each time. My latest grate is the one offered by ABC. Nice construction, reasonable price. Nice to be able to spin without having to lift over all the obstacles that line the interior of the kettle.

My real problem is that all my grates, no matter the construction material, must be clean, not just had a brush run over them to knock off the bigger chunks. It's just my thing. Having been involved with cooking, smoking, grilling or just having a few friends over, I pay close attention to cleanliness. Especially when dealing with the attention we all need to do when dealing with the possibility of cross-contamination. I guess the other way is just as acceptable, but we each march down different smoking/grilling paths with occasional side trips to the latest, greatest "thing".

Mold? Any grate that is not currently in favor (like my cast iron grate) gets cleaned REAL good, dried in the oven (about 125 or so), cooled down, bagged in a yard plastic bag with some desiccant. Then stored inside. Seems to work well enough for me.

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NWDave View Post
      Grills, grills, grills....they come in so many different configurations, it's almost impossible to chose the one that suits your needs. The problem really is when you have so many different configurations in how you want to use your 22" or any Weber Kettle and WSM. Grilling machine? Low and slow smoker? Combination of smoke and sear? My performer came with the gourmet grid system. Gave it to my son to upgrade his Weber 22. A few years ago, I bought the grill system that is cast iron, has four different sections. Believe me when I say, I live in rust country (Far Northwest Washington, so close to Canada, sometimes I spell the "English" way, rather than American). Along with all the cast iron cookwear I possess, the grill gets treated the same. Stainless grates never seem to last more than a couple years but they get more expensive each time. My latest grate is the one offered by ABC. Nice construction, reasonable price. Nice to be able to spin without having to lift over all the obstacles that line the interior of the kettle.

My real problem is that all my grates, no matter the construction material, must be clean, not just had a brush run over them to knock off the bigger chunks. It's just my thing. Having been involved with cooking, smoking, grilling or just having a few friends over, I pay close attention to cleanliness. Especially when dealing with the attention we all need to do when dealing with the possibility of cross-contamination. I guess the other way is just as acceptable, but we each march down different smoking/grilling paths with occasional side trips to the latest, greatest "thing".

Mold? Any grate that is not currently in favor (like my cast iron grate) gets cleaned REAL good, dried in the oven (about 125 or so), cooled down, bagged in a yard plastic bag with some desiccant. Then stored inside. Seems to work well enough for me.

~Dave
      I also strive for a very clean grill. My main grate in Oregon is stainless and shiny as I work to keep it that way. I can't keep the stock grate down here in California shiny and assumed it was because it isn't stainless. You're saying you SS grates don't last long, NWDave ?

The mold I see is in the kettle is not on the grate. The humidity here is often 100% I keep the grills inside when I'm gone, and I'm gone for months. I think the only way I could get them cleaner before storage would be scraping the kettle with a razor blade. Maybe I should. The mold looks like nickel sized spots above the grate line. It's white but kind of transparent.and very thin just on the surface. Not a fan.
      Last edited by Attjack; December 28, 2017, 03:46 PM. Reason: Clarifying terminology.

Comment

• NWDave
        NWDave commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have said "chromed" not SS. Now, I'm moving up to SS and expect better longevity.

Is this what you're looking for?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        "chrome plated"

No I wanted Stainless Steel. Maybe they don't make one in SS?

Did you say stainless steel?

Comment

If you want a real stainless steel grate you can't go wrong here but it doesn't have the center cutout. I have one and it is a heavy duty grate.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the abc grate but I’ve had the hinged part come loose mid cook before. It’s made to be removable but I think it removes too easily when trying to use it hinged. Maybe it needs a strategic tightening somewhere.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
        Why yes, yes I did. Plus that includes that "hover grill" as well. I think we have a winner. No reviews but I'll take the chance. Price is very reasonable. Thanks!

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          If you want a real stainless steel grate you can't go wrong here but it doesn't have the center cutout. I have one and it is a heavy duty grate.
          Yeah I considered the ABC grate because I know it's high quality steel as opposed to the 201 SS. However because I'm avoiding using a SnS down here (I currently use one one almost always on my main grill) so that I don't end up not knowing how to grill and smoke without one, and because I wanted to mess with the Weber Gourmet accessories, and have an opening in the center (for my new poortex) I wanted something like what you found me on Amazon. I can always buy another ABC grate later.

Comment

I also have a plain aftermarket ss which is fine. I found that the center hole in the gourmet system isn’t all that useful to me ( I have a different much hotter set up for a wok, and the cold grate method produces better searing results anyway).

Comment

Just in case this helps:
              Easy Spin can easily be 'modded' to be non-removable, pinch th' ends shut, per instruction sheet included with mine.
              Mebbe this would work fer yer situation?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4292.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	430403
              There's lotsa great choices, jus' tryin' to help ya' make an' informed one.
              "I have no dog in this fight, lol!"
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 28, 2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Of course had I thought I needed instructions for a grate I would have read that.

It’s funny how it says to not remove the hinge section mid cook, because that’s what I was trying to avoid it doing all the time unintentionally.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Polarbear777 lol!, I hear ya'.
                Have always thought th' Instructions were summat to be read, after th' fact.

What is the point of having the center section open on the grate?

Comment

Accessories like these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6254cd1516c184ef3913ae7bf1506ce7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.0 KB ID:	435195

Click image for larger version  Name:	maxresdefault.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.4 KB ID:	435194

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here