Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABCBarbecue's Cold Sear grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABCBarbecue's Cold Sear grate

Sometimes, things just work too well.

Been using the SnS and DnG to reverse sear steaks for a long time.

Watched Dave's video about the cold sear technique and started doing them that way.

Result -> they look great, but I picked up an odd flavor sometimes that I didn't like. I've just ignored it when it happened. They weren't bad, just had an odd flavor.

ABCBarbecue release the cold sear grate, and since I was going to replace my grate with a 304 stainless one, I decided to get that one.

Spins easy, overall works great. But, the odd flavor was even stronger. So, on the second cook, I did prime sirloins. Sliced off a little bit of one of the steaks before the reverse sear process, and the odd taste wasn't there. It was there on the steaks that went through the reverse sear.

My conclusion it that the grill did such a good job that I put a lot of flavor on the meat, and with that much taste, I don't like the taste left by standard KBB.

I've been using either the El Diablo mesquite lump, or the KJ lump in my Kamado, and steaks done on the Kamado taste really good, although I'm not using the cold grate technique.

I've always used KBB in the Weber. I just think that getting that much flavor gave me a taste that I don't like.

My question is, what charcoal does everyone use in the Weber? Lump or briquettes? If briquettes, what brand gives the best taste?

Obviously, this is opinion. But, I want to try a different briquette and see if the flavor is better. So, what do you all use?

Best regards,
    Jim

I used KBB exclusively until a few weeks ago when I decided to switch to Weber Briquettes for the smoker only as I found KBB gave off too much smoke when igniting. I still use KBB for grilling on my kettle when I'm not usually as concerned about what kind of smoke I'm using. I haven't yet noticed a detectable off flavor, but I plan on reverse searing a ribeye tonight, although probably not cold grate. I'll be on the lookout for any off flavors.

Comment

KBB. I use B & B Hardwood Briquettes for long cooks but they are overkill for grilling.

Comment

I have a few bags of the new Weber briquettes. Haven't tried them yet, but look forward to doing so. Not a huge fan of KBB myself. On a Weber kettle, my go to is: https://www.fogocharcoal.com/collect...p-charcoal-bag

Comment

Only KBB for me when grilling.

Comment

I have only used KBB.

Comment

Another KBB for grilling. I found B&B locally for long cooks and really like it.

Comment

Personally, I do not think this is a "cold grate reverse sear" issue. I have found, and I feel, it is a reverse sear issue in any form. (And I LOVE it, but some don't) I have been doing the reverse sear for some-odd 10 years now. Still my go-to method. No matter the coals I use, (huge KBB or B&B fan) it's no matter I think. Over the years, although I have detected some different off flavors, my wife REALLY detects these off flavors! It has taken me some time to realize what I think it is she don't like. I have tried different rubs, different methods, but even to me, there is that one odd taste that sometimes I love, and sometimes I just don't like.

One common thing with reverse sear, at least for me, is hot, fast and fire. All too often more like a scorching grease fire all over my steak or burger while finishing. That is the flavor that even I do not like and took me a long time to admit it is a grease fire leaving nasties on my meat (as small as it may be), not the source of the grease fire. This is why I sear directly on the coals more often than not. No air = no flare-ups. Flare-ups leave Moonbeam unhappy!

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you’ve hit on it here! I noticed it in my last Tri Tip also.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you're on to something, lonnie mac . That burned grease fire flavor is never good.

Well then, what we need is 4 Grill Grate sections in each quadrant for the ABC Cold Grate method.

Kathryn

If I am going hot and fast I always use Kingsford Competition. Regular grilling, and low n slow, it’s KBB. I think Lonnie Mac may be on to something, though.
                One thing I do like about the cold grate is that if there are flare-ups, I can move the steak away quickly; it doesn’t stick to the grate.

Comment

I have definitely been creating a grease fire when searing. Back to school for me.

Comment

This is a really good question. I have noticed that if I don't scrape the raised side of the grill grates and use the flat side for cooking, the smell from the grates can be get really strong and can impart an "off flavor" when grilling. I am not getting the same amount of flare-up factor with the grill grates because of their design but the crispy critters are burning off beneath. I start the fire with Kingsford Comp briquettes to start the fire and using wood (oak, almond, cherry or peach) to actually cook.

Comment

As I said, this was already happening before I got the new grate. But, the grates were squeaky clean. First time I used the new one, I had the "off flavor". Grate had been washed with soap and water, but this was it's first time "under fire". Slow cooked the steaks close to the middle of the grill away from the SNS, so the edge didn't have any grease buildup at all.

Interesting discussion. I know I'm searing them more than I used to. But, normal procedure has been 1 minute per side, flip and reverse. Repeat procedure so any grill marks would be cross hatched. Total 4 minutes of searing. There really aren't any sear marks, rather I have a nice dark golden look to the entire surface. I'm sure it's not burnt at all.

I was doing it at 90 degree angles. Started doing them at 120 degree turns, which results in the fourth sear being done on the same section of grate as the first one.

Perhaps more Maillard effect, and the process is loosening some additional chemical?

I know when I do the reverse sear on the KJ, the coals are a little further from the meat than they are on the Weber. On there, I haven't experienced the taste.

Trying to think backwards in time, I think the first time I noticed the flavor was when I did a 120 degree rotation on the grate. I'll have to try the next ones back at 90 degrees and see if that makes a difference.

At least I know, with other people experiencing the same tastes, it's not my imagination

Jim

Comment

tbob4 - I'm using grillgrates on a gasser, do you have this problem? (I don't have extra ones, I flip a couple of them back and forth depending on the cook). I find a lot of carbon build up on the flat side, especially if it has been facing down during a previous cook. Even when I leave them face up, they get a carbon build up and I have trouble getting them clean enough for a sear. I have kind of moved away from them for searing.

Comment

• tbob4
                          tbob4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do sometimes get that carbon. I use the wooden GreatScrape (sp?) for the raised side and a putty knife for the flat side. I spray both sides down with oil when I am done. I am much more diligent with the flat side because I find myself using that side more.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here