Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend a cold smoker accessory for my Weber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recommend a cold smoker accessory for my Weber?

I would like to smoke some cheese on my 26" Weber. I'm assuming I need one of these accessories to cold smoke. Is that correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	61c%2BuAlTLgL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	396312Click image for larger version

Name:	61U1PCGGJEL._SL1448_.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	396314Click image for larger version

Name:	91sVXTfTCiL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	396313
    The maze one can smoke for 11 hours and costs $30. The tube can smoke for 4 hours and costs $25. The Cube says it smokes for 4-5 hours and only costs $14. There are of course many other options out there.

I really don't know how long I'll want to cold smoke cheese, or if I'm going to end up cold smoking other stuff.

What would you recommend? What else do I need to know? Thanks.

I have an amazintube and when I smoke cheese I do if for two hours or so. I do it in my rec tec pellet grill with no other heat or smoke source. Wait for a cold day and try to keep the pit temp below 140. I also cut the cheese into blocks about 2 inches thick so there is plenty of surface area to absorb smoke. After smoking I chill and then vacuum seal. The cheese will need a month or so to mellow. It's edible right away, but the smoke flavor is very strong/acrid. Time is your friend.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice. I didn't know I would need to let it mellow.

Should I just grab the cheap one and get smoking?

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack, can't give ya any advice on any but the amazentube. It works great. I would think the square one would work just as well, but like I said, no experience using it or the maze.

I’ve got one of the tubes that stretch. So it’s good for 4-6 hours. More than enough smoke.

Comment

I’ve never smoked cheese

Comment

I have the maze. I put enough pellets in to cover each side, then light both ends. Gives me 3-4 hours, and a little more smoke since both ends are lit, but I only leave the cheese in for about 2.5 hours. I also smoke almonds using the same method. Works great!

Comment

I have a cold smoke box on the Rec Tec and a Smoke Daddy on the grill. The SD can be installed on anything and since it is external to the rig, it can be ran for an unlimited time and depending on how much air you push through it you can control the amount of smoke. It also allows you to smoke with little to no heat. Works great when adding smoke to fish or cheese.

Comment

I have the maze and the tube. The maze takes up more space but it can smoke longer. You wouldn't need that much time to cold smoke but if you're adding smoke to a low and slow cook, that would be beneficial in theory. All that said, I'd get the tube. I am pretty sure I picked up on here somewhere that after a few hours the food is not picking up any new smoke flavor.

Comment

I ordered the tube because I'm only interested in cold smoking some cheese. $15. Now I need to figure out what kinds of pellets I want for said cheese.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              I've used hickory and pecan on extra sharp cheddar, habanero cheddar, pepper jack, and gouda. Both worked very well with each variety of cheese.

Not sure about any of the attachments. But you can convert a small fridge into one fairly easily. Can PM me if you want details.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack I would like to turn my fridge into a combo cold smoker, dry age setup and beer fermenter. Right now only have the cold smoker setup too busy messing with the motorcycle lately.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you brewing lagers, and aging steaks?

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I want to brew lagers and age steaks. Just not setup yet. Also even for Ale's I read that a consistent fermentation temp leads to a better brew. Also had a carboy top pop off in a closet...not fun to clean so inside of a mini fridge would be ideal in the garage.

Originally posted by BriggsBBQ View Post
            Not sure about any of the attachments. But you can convert a small fridge into one fairly easily. Can PM me if you want details.
            I've never cold fermented before, but a friend is very good home brewer, and he makes delicious lagers. He uses a chest freezer. You might want to look into that. It seems to make more sense for a lot of people. I pulled the pic from the internet but his setup is similar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Home_Brewing_Beer_Fermentation_Freezer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	287.0 KB ID:	397320
            Last edited by Attjack; October 19, 2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a cool setup.

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
            I would like to smoke some cheese on my 26" Weber. I'm assuming I need one of these accessories to cold smoke. Is that correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	61c%2BuAlTLgL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	396312Click image for larger version

Name:	61U1PCGGJEL._SL1448_.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	396314Click image for larger version

Name:	91sVXTfTCiL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	396313
            The maze one can smoke for 11 hours and costs $30. The tube can smoke for 4 hours and costs $25. The Cube says it smokes for 4-5 hours and only costs $14. There are of course many other options out there.

I really don't know how long I'll want to cold smoke cheese, or if I'm going to end up cold smoking other stuff.

What would you recommend? What else do I need to know? Thanks.
            Cheese; Smoke for 2½ hours or until desired color and flavor are achieved.
            All of those A-maze-N do the job..
            If you get something that are fueled with sawdust it can smoke for a longer period of time.
            Like this; https://www.thebarbecuestore.es/Weber-Cold-Smoker

Comment

I received my cube smoker. I should get the pellets I ordered today. Weather is cold and wet. Looks like I'll be smoking some cheese soon.

Comment

If you have plastic ice packs, which don't melt, put them in the cooking chamber with the cheese - it will help keep temps down.

Comment

I have the amazing tube as well. As Dr ROK pointed out you really need to seal and let sit in the fridge for a while!! (I tried one after letting the cheese cool and and all I tasted was smoke) but after about 10 days or so it had mellowed. I try not let my chamber get above 90 degrees (but depends on the cheese or their melting point) Be warned the cheese is addicting the smoke taste just adds a satisfying little punch of flavor!!

Comment

My suggestions;
                    Amazen tube

Weber coldsmoke generator

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here