Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of using SnS with my BBQ Guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of using SnS with my BBQ Guru

Just bought a SnS (to be delivered next week) and was thinking of using my BBQ Guru with it to ensure a specific temp (let's say 275). Gonna try chick thighs in muffin pans. I'm sure someone has done this and there are probably some threads to this topic, but just have not found them.

What say yea..... Yes, no, not needed, recommendations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Its always a great option to have your controller parallel you SnS. IMO Is it needed? No Is it great insurance? Yes.

Comment

Yes, many do that! Just place the fan opposite the coals to avoid stirring up ash. Although, as you'll probably find using your SnS unplugged, it's really easy holding a steady temp w/o the help.

Comment

Can't speak to the BBQ Guru but I agree with others, my SnS in my 22 maintains incredibly consistent temperatures. If I leave my setup alone and don't fiddle with my kettle, I've had my setup run in a 5 degree range for up to 4 hours. I invariably end up peeking or looking to see where my fuel is and temps move a little on me but settle right back in the range they were.

Comment

Even if nothing else, it will give you peace of mind on overnight cooks. AND you can get a good night's sleep.

Comment

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen

TripleB, I have a Set Up Like You are Thinking About! The Only difference is I also Have a Drip & Griddle! Prior to the Drip & Griddle I Had My Furnaceman Cut Me a Baffleplate from 20 Ga. SS! Either Way I find the S 'N S, D & G, and the BBQGURU DIGIQ DX-2 and Viper Fan will Hold the Temp "Scary" Steady! I had a Problem with the Viper Fan (broken wire) and had to finish the Cook Without the DigiQ DX-2 Temp Contol by reverting to the Manual Vent Control Settings prescribed by Huskee and David Parrish and shown at www.abcbarbecue.com ! This Makes Low & Slow BBQ'ng almost too easy as long as you Shake the Ashes Down every 2 1/2 - 3 Hrs +- ❓
          I Hope the Following Pics Help❗️
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	457.9 KB ID:	387398Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	483.0 KB ID:	387399Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	387405Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	387402Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	387400Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	387401Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	387404Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	856.2 KB ID:	387406Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	1,006.7 KB ID:	387403

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Doggone it, Dan, that looks fantastic!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca, Thanks as I recall You had a Hand in my DigiQ DX-2 Purchase! TripleB, All the Info I could find at the time recommended the fan be 90* From the S 'N S which should be 180* from the Upper Vent! Bottom Vents Closed‼️ Yes the D&G Deflects the Air from the Fan (Slows & Directs to Under Coals) , W/O Ash Blowing‼️
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 29, 2017, 09:21 AM.

• ken g
            ken g commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the SNS, D&G with a Party Q. Rock solid set up! Constant temps for those long cooks.

I highly recommend the Guru with SnS. It does provide a certain peace of mind if you have to be away for awhile. You won't notice much less temperature variation vs SnS only, but I really like how it wrings every last bit of heat out of those coals until they are almost completely burned away. There is no tapering off in temperature at the end like you would see normally.

Comment

Thank you to all who posted. Excellent advice.

Comment

I do too much cooking while at work or sleeping to not use my PID Controllers on my kettles.

Comment

Do it! I use a PartyQ with SNS and DNG. Awesome set up. You can step away with confidence. Temps are rock solid for hours.

Comment

Yous Guys are killing me, I keep trying to go budget and then a thread like this comes up.

Comment

• phoccer
                    phoccer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tell me about it. I was completely happy with my Weber and SnS setup thinking it was all good. Started thinking more about this thread, started reading, and now I'm a new owner of a Pitmaster IQ 110 for my Pit Barrel and adapter for my kettle.

Ok guys, I know this is an old thread, but I've been wondering how you setup a kettle like the Performer I have with a fan/controller like the PartyQ. Do you have to drill a hole in the kettle body for the fan to mount? If so, what do you do if you don't need the fan for direct grilling?

The description of the PartyQ adapter for the Weber kettle sounds like it would only work on my really old kettle that has the 3 separate smaller bottom vents, or on the Smokey Mountain smokers, and not a newer kettle with the ash catcher mechanism and the blades in the bottom of the grill.

Thanks!

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You will need to drill a hole in the Performer. Not a big deal at all. When grilling, you just keep the rubber cover on the adapter and don't insert the controller. Once installing the adapter, the controller is easily attached and removed without any tools.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve R. is that the standard kettle adapter for the PartyQ we are talking about? The one on the bottom of this page: https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?Cat...=2&ProductId=6

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes.

jfmorris - I suggest putting the adapter just below the charcoal grate with the deflector pointing down. That will direct the air towards the SnS. Then either put a layer of foil on the part of the grate not covered by the SnS or buy a DnG to use instead of foil. Either one will assure that most of the air passes through the SnS for better control.

Edit to add that it should be as close as possible to opposite the SnS.
                  Last edited by RonB; January 19, 2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok, I tend to keep my SnS on the front of the Performer, so that I have easy access for adding charcoal. I think there is room to put that on the back side, but it may be a pain to access the PartyQ. I use this arrangement as my Performer lid won't store into the lid older with the vent pointing to the left, without remembering to rotate the lid each time I take it off.

I have the PartyQ installed on my Weber Performer and it works great whenever I used it.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where did you put the hole for the PartyQ adapter?

As RonB stated above I put the hole about an inch below the charcoal grate but make sure you don’t go to far below so the ash sweeper don’t hit it.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! If I go that route I will be sure to go above the ash sweepers. The more I looked at it, the more likely I am to try buying the DigiQ and a kit to try to get my offset smoker under control, versus the Weber. I just smoked bacon in the Weber+SnS and it was rock solid at 215F for a couple of hours. It was close enough to 225F that I didn't see a need to go out and adjust the vents.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here