Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using chimney to sear - can it sit on GrillGrates on gasser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using chimney to sear - can it sit on GrillGrates on gasser?

I just picked up a chimney that I'm going to use for searing some nice steaks this weekend. Any issues just setting it on my gasser on my GrillGrates? I read somewhere not to even put it on cement (??).

Also, any tricks out there to light it when you want to use it upside down? I don't think I'll need many coals for 3 steaks so I was just going to use the small end.

Thanks

It will be ok to sit it on GrillGrates and I used the part of the bag that the charcoal comes in to light the coals.

Comment

I put the chimney on the Grill Grate. I like to use this torch to light my charcoal. It makes things pretty easy.

Comment

Just man up and hold a couple of pieces of lit newspaper up close to the charcoal. Or you could use these, which should be available at your local big box.

Comment

For what it's worth, I can confirm putting the chimney on cement is not wise. I've never had an issue doing so for lighting a dozen coals for low n slow, but I filled up the chimney once and let it roar, and the cement was damaged/chipped.

Comment

Do some test with the upside down thing.

You got time.

Don't wait till game day to run a play IMHO

Cant wait to see some pics of your cook.

: )

Comment

Before I fire this puppy up....what kind of a mess will I have on my GrillGrates after the chimney goes out? Might be good to have an ash can that I could dump the hot coals into when I'm done searing?

Comment

Maybe test it on another surface so you can get a good idea of the mess. Them move it to the gasser once you know what you need for clean up.

Comment

• Hugh
                  Hugh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Jon. What do you think of having a little trash can and just dumping the hot coals in it once I'm done searing before I get a pile of ashes?

Here's what I think. Go to Walmart and by a 12 x12 patio stone from the garden dept. for a buck and a half give or take.

Put that on the ground and use it as your chiminey base.

No mess on your gasser. No harm to your concret your all good.

The other option is use your gasser and blow off the ashes with your leaf blower when your done

Comment

• dustbuster
                  dustbuster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like this idea for general chimney use; thanks for sharing!

• Hugh
                  Hugh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time to experiment. Thanks Jon.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I've got a brick patio close to the cookers and just start the chimney there. The metal trash can is good too.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here