Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS and hovergril reverse sear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS and hovergril reverse sear question

I have the 22.5 Weber and a SnS. I tried the reverse sear on some burgers this weekend. It came out ok but I have some questions.
    First off I see Meathead recommends 1 inch from coals to burger.
    Does this apply to the SnS too? Meaning I would have to almost fill the SnS in order to get coals that close to the patty. That's a lot of coals to cook a few burgers. Also the Sns is kind of a small surface area if I want to cook multiple burgers and move them to avoid flareups.
    I was looking at the hovergrill as I have seen Meathead recommend it for this purpose. Does the hovergrill have to be elevated to get the coals within 1" of the patty? If so what do you use to elevate it.
    Am I missing something. Is there a better way to do this?

Following!

Comment

I've used the SnS and grill grates to reverse sear some steakhouse burgers and it works great without the coals needing to be within 1" of the burgers. The recipies were writen without the SnS involved and you WOULD need to get the coals up to within 1" to get the heat needed to sear.

Comment

To answer the other half of your question.
        Remove your grate.
        Remove your charcoal grate. Put hover grate in. Put charcoal grate on. Your charcoal should now be in that 1" range.
        Add coals,
        Add grate,
        Add meat,
        EAT EAT EAT.

Im pretty sure that is how they use the hover grill to do it, you can use a brick to raise the charcoal grate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner-que View Post
          I've used the SnS and grill grates to reverse sear some steakhouse burgers and it works great without the coals needing to be within 1" of the burgers. The recipies were writen without the SnS involved and you WOULD need to get the coals up to within 1" to get the heat needed to sear.
          So does the sns need to be full to get to searing temp at the grate or does a layer in the bottom of the sns do the trick?

Comment

As an example, I reverse seared two NY strips last night. I lit about 15 briquettes and added them to about 1/3 SnS full of coals left over from chicken cook. I cooked the steaks at 230 until they were 120F then mixed the coals up and turned my BBQ Dragon on them to get them all ripping hot. put the grill grates on and got a great sear on the steaks. I forgot to check the GG temps with my new IR thermometor, but next time I'll check them out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here