Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retraction of recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retraction of recommendation.

I asked for and received a Homelight Electrolight for Christmas. After the first few times using it, I posted how much I liked it here. However, after continued use, I have decided that it's nowhere as good as I initially thought.

First, there is some type of thermal switch that cuts it off too quickly - before enough coals are lit. It takes 5 - 10 min for it to cool enough to restart.
    Second, to use it you have to place it right next to a coal. So the heat is mainly directed to one coal. Some heat does go to surrounding coals, but you must relocate it to different areas to get all the coals lit.
    Third, the aluminum shroud has melted from it's own heat - very poor design.

I bought a BBQ Dragon and it does a much better job of lighting all the coals, and is much faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I6062.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	338536

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I6069.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	338537

Thanks for the review!

Comment

I use a map torch on lump. Twenty seconds and a fire is started.

Comment

I just used Weber fire starter cubes. When you plan there no need to hurry. 😊

Comment

• JoeInTX
          JoeInTX commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly! Besides it's only about 15 minutes.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          But I like playing with fire...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here