Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a little cleaning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little cleaning!

So cleaning my (only used once) brand new WSCGC grate today, It occurred to pass on a little grate cleaning tip. Not a lot of folks have a means of submerging their grate and giving it a good bath, so I thought I would share my what I do.

Pretty simple really. This is a water heater drain pan. 20 bucks and works great (or grate!) I used to use an upside down rubber maid lid for my 22', but these new fangled grates are large!

Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Camco-Manuf...n-Pan/50146616

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	328367

Great Idea. I'm currently draining both hot water heaters so I can get that stinkin' pan out......multiple grates at once!!

Comment

Great tip Lonnie!

Comment

lonnie mac what is the diameter of the pan? Will it hold my 18 1/2" BGE grill?

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          This is the 26". That's my 24" grate. It would work great for you! They do make a 24" as well, possibly even smaller. Not bad for the bucks.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          lonnie mac thanks much.

What is your cleaning solution?

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          "And your soaking in it"

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey I just got your soaking in it joke. Only took me a month.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          What can I say? I crack myself up.

Nice idea!

Comment

Going to get one today. Thanks lonnie mac

Comment

Ah! Meant to mention there is a drain hole and a fitting with it. Since I was already in the plumbing area I found a plug for the fitting.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Lonnie!

Comment

I have a Weber Performer kettle and would appreciate if you guys could answer the following questions: 1) What is the best way to clean the inside of the lid? 2) Is it important to clean it to its original state and not leave any grease at all? 3) Does using common cleaners such as 409 and other degreasers affect the taste of the food? 4) Is it dangerous to one's health to clean the inside of the lid with these chemicals? Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
                  Reds Fan 5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dumb old doc, I clean it two ways: 1)After a cook, warp 10, open both vents all the way, and let it burn out. 2)A few times per year I clean it with a plastic scraper and Dawn grease cutting dish soap. You shouldn't need any cleaner stronger than that. Doesn't need to be factory clean.

I put mine in a plastic garbage can and scrape it clean with a razor blade. Check this out http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-gri...ttle-cleaning/ Dumb old doc

Comment

It was hard for me to visualize the razor blade conforming to the parabolic shape of the kettle until I click on your link and saw the pictures of a restored lid cleaned using razor blades. Your method of using a trash can is very ingenius. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, that is a great idea

Comment

Good idea lonnie mac! You too HawkerXP!

Comment

What a brilliant idea, thanks Lonnie mak

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here