Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My technique for lighting and using the Slow N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My technique for lighting and using the Slow N Sear

All of the descriptions I have ever read seem to focus on how to cook meat on the Kettle/SNS combo.

When I set out to make a steak dinner, or pork chops, even a Tri-Tip roast, I usually want to cook the side dishes as well.

My technique for this includes having a leave in digital pit thermometer. I usually use the TW8060 (predecessor to the ThermaQ).

I’ll load the SnS with charcoal, and put a Weber starter in the left corner (assuming the SnS is to the back of the kettle from where I’m standing).

Once it has a few coals burning, I’ll put the lid on with the top vent over the coals that are lit. Since the air flow is right out the top, the fire doesn’t spread through the rest of the coals.

Small, hot fire is perfect for roasting potatoes. I watch the temperature and if I need a little more heat, I rotate the lid clockwise, which causes a few more coals to light.

When the potatoes are getting close to done, I’ll rotate the lid some more. I move the pit thermometer over to the other side of the kettle, and get the temperature up to where I need it for the low/slow portion of cooking the meat.

I’ll start cooking corn or another veggie over indirect heat as well.

When the steaks are getting up close to the temperature where I want to sear them, I’ll be sure that all of the coals have been lit.

When it’s time to sear, I’ll take off the meat, stir the coals, and hit them with a fan.

Speaking of fans, I didn’t buy a BBQ Dragon. I bought this thing years ago to blow out fans and power supplies in computers.

Discovered it was useful for drying a car without touching it (no swirls in the finish). Since it has 3 speeds, it’s perfect for cranking up the temperature of any cooker.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MakitaBlower.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	322836
    Hope this makes sense.

Best regards,
    Jim

interesting, I bet that gets the coals going fast.

Comment

That's a great idea to rotate the lid. I will try to incorporate this technique soon as the rain stops.

Comment

Well thought out.

Comment

Your blower reminds me of a stop at a small roadside open air restaurant I made on a road trip through rural China and Tibet (Chengdu to Lhasa) a number of years ago. The cook adjusted the heat of his small open wood cooking fire with a variable speed hair dryer. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture.

Comment

Thanks jgg85234 I will try your method

Comment

Pretty clever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here