Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S&S temp control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&S temp control

Doing my first rib cook today on the new SnS. Having temp control issues. The cooker is *very* sensitive to vent adjustments. The temp here in the Chicago area is 27f, very light wind. I set it up the directions provided, but the temp swings are 20-30 deg., and won't settle at the 225-ish I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Al

Are you leaking smoke under the lid? If so, you can get some 1.5 inch binder clips to hold the lid down, and help steady the temp. Also, I am assuming you have the water pan in the SnS filled? Is the temp swinging up or down? Also, once you make a vent adjustment, give the cooker time to settle before making another one.

Comment

First off, relax your goals on temp control and you will be a much happier cook that still makes awesome food. If your temps are swinging within 30 degrees with the average anywhere from 225 F to 250 F you're doing just fine with temp control. As you get more experience you'll get better and better at maintaining a narrower range of temps that's closer to your desired average. For now relax and enjoy the cook!

Grab some binder clips, though. They work great for most kettles! (My Weber performer being one of the few exceptions to that rule)

Comment

my experiences with temp control with this setup have been hit and miss. Sometimes it holds a near-constant temp for hours. Other times it has fluctuated. One thing I've learned from others on this site and from personal experience - nailing and maintaining an exact temperature is incredibly over-rated. David Parrish touched on it just above me on this thread. In my experience 220-280 is a perfectly safe range and that short dips above and below this range are totally fine.

This is true of ALL cookers, not just the kettle + SnS.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel the exact same about a finish temp of 203, overrated and not necessary.

Count your coals and keep a log. It will improve your consistency. But make sure you factor in outside temp. To hit dead on accuracy keep track of what, when, how long you cook. If you throw 8 chicken leg quarters on in 27 degree weather your going to need more fuel than 2 legs when it's 80. That's why you need to bbq so much, your "practicing"

Comment

Al S., My first Question on Your Temp Control Issue is Have You Studied the Vent Settings In the S 'n S Technique & Recipe Section of www.abcbarbecue.com ? Huskee has Put Together an Excellant Tutorial on Weber Kettle Temp Control! The following Temps were Monitored by A FireBoard On My Weber Yesterday! Note the Ambient Temp Recording close to Yours in Chicago here in Fargo! My Weber is equipped with a S 'n S, a Drip & Griddle and Additionally a BBQGURU DigiQ DX-2 Temp Control! The DigiQ provides all the Air for the Cook the Bottom Vent is Totally Closed!
          I hope this info Helps You!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	269164Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	269163Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	269165Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	49 Size:	496.1 KB ID:	269166Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	46 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	269167Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	269169Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	269168Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	269171Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	269172
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here