Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS "Bat" Signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS "Bat" Signal

This Saturday, I'm going to try the Patio Daddio high temp pork butt cook. SnS instructions recommend against adding water when cooking at 325-350 degree temps. Should I put a water pan under the butt for the cook or go dry? PD's instructions do not mention adding a water pan (at least what I have read).

Go ahead and add water to the SnS. It's not that it's recommended against, it's just that when doing a 'hot & fast' cook, as common with poultry, it's typically not needed.

Comment

Yeah go ahead and add the water, just don't expect it to last 5 hours. Probably 2 or less.

Comment

I'd use a tray under the meat too - you don't want all those great juices to go to waste. I add some water to the tray to keep the juices from drying out.

Comment

Agree with all the above. Add water to the SNS and also keep a pan underneath with enough water to cover the bottom to save the drippings.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen!

Comment

Did someone say Bat Signal?

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm surprised you didn't reply first!

Originally posted by Obi-Dan View Post
              Did someone say Bat Signal?
              hahahahahaahahaha

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Who are You? Robbin?. 😂😃😇😃😂. From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

A (very) successful cook today and I learned a few things on my hot and fast Patio Daddio pork butt cook. Hi heat rocks for pork butt and it will be my go to going forward (though I do need to try high heat without wrapping....bark formation/retention!). Even with my leaky kettle, it took 1.5 hours to reach 325 degrees starting with 18 lit coals and the SnS jam packed with unlit coals. I put the butt on at 175 and I figured it would take 45 minutes…an hour at most… to reach 325 based on previous experience. Nyope. Once I hit 325, I was happily surprised that temps fluctuated from 325-340 for 2.5 hours (depending on cloud cover) with all vents wide open. When the 4.5 lb butt hit 167, I triple wrapped per PD’s instructions and continued cooking until the recommended internal temp hit 203 (I over shot to 207). Total time on the kettle…4.25 hours. Into the cambro it went for 1.25 hours. Baked beans, corn on the Cobb, grilled honeydew, slaw and insanely delicious Memphis Dust pulled pork sammies caused eyes to roll and smiles to grow. I snuck in a healthy squirt of Lexington dip into my daughter’s sammich while her back was turned….”best pork butt ever Dad!” Thank you Meathead and the PMC!
              Last edited by 7x57mm; August 16, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Nice! Next time if you want to cut down heat-up time, instead of 18 lit coals head right toward a half a chimney lit, added to half unlit in the SnS. You can cut 1.5 hrs down to probably 15 mins...or less depending on weather.

Comment

Roger that Huskee! I will try that the next go around. My kettle likes to take off when it gets hot; I was being overly cautious to prevent damper dancing and spritzing the lid

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Damper dancing" Lol, good one! You've inspired me, I think soon I might just do a side by side test of hot & fast and regular pork butts on separate kettles w/ SnS.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here