Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick Tip Top Temp Regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick Tip Top Temp Regulator?

All the rage at the Weber Kettle forums. Anyone try? $30 at Amazon, only $20 at Yard & Pool Dotcom.

Link to instruction manual: http://www.tbsgrillshop.dk/UserFiles...T%20manual.pdf

Link to Amazon:

Funny you should ask... I ordered one last night. Should have it tomorrow. Seems like a nifty idea!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I just ordered one too! I figure for $20, if it doesn't work it's no worse than overcooking a couple steaks. Not that I EVER do THAT.
      Last edited by Mosca; June 28, 2016, 08:20 PM.

• carlscan26
      carlscan26 commented
      Editing a comment
      David, I'm especially interested in a review of the tip top and the SnS...

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never been able to bring myself to use the TTT. It won't fit easily over my top vent because I have the rubber covering over that vent adjuster piece and once I get a temp dialed in the TTT just seems unnecessary. I will eventually make myself use it I promise.

David Parrish Anxious to hear how this works... especially with SnS.... sounds like it would be a heck of a lot cheaper option than Aubor or DigiQ.... then again we may not be comparing apples to apples either in capabilities.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it comes down to results and value. A DigiQ may be able to control within 5*, but that isn't really necessary; +/- 15-20* is fine for BBQ. Plus I don't have to drill the kettle.

Originally posted by Nate View Post
    David Parrish Anxious to hear how this works... especially with SnS.... sounds like it would be a heck of a lot cheaper option than Aubor or DigiQ.... then again we may not be comparing apples to apples either in capabilities.

The one thing it won't do is add extra air to get a fire going that's trying to go out like a controlled fan will do, so I don't think it'd be the best for overnight cooks.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      My best guess is that it relies on leaked air, since the lower vent is completely closed.
      Last edited by Mosca; June 28, 2016, 02:52 PM.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I very strongly suspect those directions are wrong. When I get mine I will be making sure I have a tight seal and I will leave the bottom vent slightly open.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      "Each grill has slightly different air leakage. The bottom vent may need adjusting."

Maybe some of each.

I have a goodly number of friends who use the TTT on their Akorn kamados as a means of controlling temps. Some really like the TTT and there are a few who simply can't get it to function well for them without a lot of "jiggling." I've see a couple in action and for the most part, I think it's a nice accompaniment. Is it necessary? No. Is it a nice tool? Yes, but not for all.

Comment

No Darrell NO!

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Resistance is futile.

I jumped in. We'll see how it works with the SNS.

Comment

I believe Jon Solberg has one....and I don't recall him being too thrilled with it. Hopefully he can correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

""Each BBQ grill has slightly different air leakage. The bottom vent may need adjusting.""

I can see my Maverick going off every 8 minutes with that thing......

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Powersmoke_80 , i think it is a great idea in concept.... might let Jerod try it out first and let us know how it works. I like his idea of adding a vent to the top.

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nate I know where he can get a free one to try! Heee Heee Jon Solberg

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Powersmoke_80 It wouldn't work for what I need it for. My vent is there to kick in extra air flow when the stall kicks in and starts killing my temps.

I do have one. It works as advertised. It takes a few times to figure out the angles. I got one just to test it out. I dont use it. Happy to ship it to anyone that wants it. No charge.

DWCowles you want it its yours.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 29, 2016, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            No Jon thanks for asking. I got to many gadgets as it is.
            Last edited by DWCowles; June 29, 2016, 11:04 AM.

• Mitchl
            Mitchl commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are still wanting to pass this on, I'd be interested. I'll give a good home will give it the college try. Thanks. M.

Most reviews from around the BBQ forums are positive. The most common reservation is that it won't add air to a fire that is in danger of dying, the way a DigiQ or similar would. Second is the danger of creosote and a bitter taste, due to the regulation of exhaust vent only.

My thought is that even if I try it and don't like it, it was only $20. And I think it will work fine.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            My thought exactly. Cheap gadget to experiment with to help with the addiction.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          Funny you should ask... I ordered one last night. Should have it tomorrow. Seems like a nifty idea!
          Me too. Waiting for your results

Comment

Originally posted by funkyslap View Post

Me too. Waiting for your results

Got it. Haven't used it yet. One problem is it doesn't fit over top vents that have the rubber piece, and all of mine have that rubber piece.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Ooh. Just checked, it won't fit mine either. Bummer.

I got one for last Christmas and use it with the SnS. I really like it. I open the bottom vent about a quarter inch and leave the top vent fully open. It takes a half hour or so to get it zeroed in, then it stays very stable. I let it close shut and crank it open a little and repeat until it reaches my target temp.

It doesn't fit super snug on the Weber Performer, but a little leakage, even under the lid doesn't really bother me. The unit does a good job of maintaining temp which is the main thing.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine won't fit over the top vent at all, though.

Does anyone have an update on using this?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here