Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inaugural SnS XL cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inaugural SnS XL cook

Just received the new SnS XL and have put 2 chuckies above a pan of bourbon baked beans.

Preliminary thoughts - the added weight of the bottom grate, and the tab which extends out from the bottom add to the units stability so that it will be harder to tip it over. It doesn't reduce grate space so it is great!!

Some early pics - I'll post finished ones late today.
    Attached Files

Lookin' good to me.

Comment

Opened her up three hours in to remove the beans. Looking good so far.
      Attached Files

Comment

richinlbrg looking good! You may have just pushed me into buying the SnS XL. No MCS here.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Deny, deny, deny. When will you just admit it? Then you will be set free. Smokin! MCS is good!

fuzzydaddy , I was so happy with my pre-production SnS (ahhh, that would be L.E. #9 - a gift from #1 - not that I am proud to be in the single digitdom or anything), that I was not looking for the XL. Not even thinking of it.

#1 saw it though and thought I should have it; it arrived this week.

So far, I'm liking it! Only issue I am having so far is the sun beating on the kettle making temp control slightly more challenging. I keep moving the grill to the shade to stay in the 23x range.

Thinking I'm going to love it!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          The searing capacity will be great too! I'm heading out of town on Wednesday so I'll probably order just before I return as I don't want it arriving and sitting on the front porch for days.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, fuzzydaddy , when the chuckies are done, I have more to cook. Hopefully something will require some searing, and I'll let you know how that goes, too!

Here's to a successful safe trip! Enjoy your XL!! LOL (we really are SO easy!)

Well, since I got off to a much later start than I wanted, I decided to crutch them. Here is how they look pre-crutch - 5 hours in. The XL is bringing tears to my eye, David Parrish ! Low on water, coals holding fine, and I just opened up the vents to "getterdone"
        Attached Files
        Last edited by richinlbrg; June 26, 2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Man them 26's are huge!

Comment

Plenty of real estate! Wish I had more chuckies to smoke, a lot of the Chuck and beans will be given away.

Comment

Looking good richinlbrg

Comment

richinlbrg, I am so Jealous of You I Could Just Cry! 😳😪😭😪. Great Looking Chucks!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Great looking cook, mighty fine pics!

Comment

All done. Good smoke ring, but it turned out to be a bit tough and didn't pull as easily as usual. Taste is still good. Took it to 207-209, never as probe tender as usual. 2 hour faux cambro.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by richinlbrg; June 26, 2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Did you hold it up there at 207-209 for an hour before the cambro hold? Might just have been a tough ol' steer. Killer smoke ring though.

Comment

Pretty much, yeah. Whole thing was textbook. Right up until the pull!

Bummer, I was going to give most of it away. Good news, I'm going to be eating pulled beef this week!

Comment

A couple of pork butts ago (<--- yes, that's a unit of time measurement around here) I had one turn out like that. It was disappointing and perplexing.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                            richinlbrg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Happens.

I'll see if I can do some more next weekend.

And ribs.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here