Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS question

What is the purpose of the plate holding the briquettes off the side of the kettle? Is this just an attempt to increase airflow?

Do you mean the bottom plate inside the charcoal basket of the SnS, or the lip of it that extends outward from the water reservoir?

Comment

Do not question the design. The greatest BBQ minds on the planet came up with this device.

Buy it, use it and change your life forever. Then tell your friends... They won't believe you at first but they all probably cook with gas anyway. Who needs friends like that?

Comment

• snowandsmoke
        snowandsmoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I recall comments like this about the smokenator, and it ain't all that now.

• pittkappasig
        pittkappasig commented
        Editing a comment
        Smokenator was fine for its purpose but SnS played on the design, improved it and simplified it with a proven track record of excellent results... What more could you ask for?

snowandsmoke, If I understand your question, you are referring to the curved side of the S 'n S? I was explained to Me that the reason for the Gap between it and the Kettle was for Insulation Purposes! It keeps the Ambient Temps from causing Hot or Cold Spots in the Kettle which then heats uniformly! Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        pic does not work for me either, though I see the thumbnail.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        CeramicChef, David Parrish! Since the Transition, I must have Posted 4-5-6 times about this Same Problem to Glenn Vergera about this?
        I will Try to Take the Pic Down and Reload It? Thanks for the Heads Up CC! From Fargo ND, Dan

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        CeramicChef, David Parrish, I am Stuck I can't Down Load the Pics? I can't Edit Them? I think it's up to Meathead to furnish everyone a Magnifying Glass? 😚🤔😇😏.
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

snowandsmoke the walls of the charcoal basket serve a couple of purposes. First off, they are angled in a way that keeps the charcoal briquettes nestled together as they burn down and get smaller. This keeps your fire consistent over time during low and slow and allows for Warp 11 heat when cooking hot and fast. Secondly, the outer wall of the Slow 'N Sear combines with the wall of the kettle to form a two-wall insulated barrier between the burning charcoal and the outside world. This keeps the heat inside where it belongs. Think double pane window in your house on a cold winter night. This insulated barrier has allowed us to cook as long as 12 hours at 225 F using one Weber's chimney of cheap Kingsford Blue Bag charcoal.

​So there's a lot going on with the Slow 'N Sear, but luckily for us all that science is working FOR us and makes cooking with the SnS pretty darn simple and easy.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        So essentially you SnS guys beat Weber to the punch with an air insulator like Weber just introduced in the new Weber Summit Charcoal Grill! Sweet! Take a bow, David Parrish.

CeramicChef it's not lost on me that Weber incorporated TWO of the major innovations of the Slow 'N Sear into its Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. They've got the double wall insulation between the charcoal and the outside world AND they incorporated the double wall barrier between the meat and the heat. We were just able to do it at a much lower price point=)

What they whiffed on is 1) consistent/controlled heat transfer into the water reservoir and 2) ease of post-cook cleanup, so in a couple of ways I think the WSCG falls short of the SnS.

Comment

I was just curious as to the theory. I've been around long enough to know that trends and fads change. I am always wondering what the next great gadget will be.

Comment

Originally posted by snowandsmoke View Post
          I was just curious as to the theory. I've been around long enough to know that trends and fads change. I am always wondering what the next great gadget will be.
          I think the next big thing would be an AI computer assistant with Paul Bettany's voice telling you when your grill needs tweaking and when the meat is done, then taking care of it for you. Until then, I struggle to think of any single non-automated device trumping with the SnS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here