Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martybartram
    replied
    pittkappasig There are two reasons for using the cast iron. The first is to act as a heat shield between the direct heat and the stone. The direct heat may approach 900+ degrees depending on how close it is and I do not want to test the capabilities of the stone, have it fail, and suffer SWMBO's wrath (she's a redhead). Second, the cast iron diffuses the heat in the stone so you get even temperatures and no hot spots. It retains heat as well so as your coals die you will get consistent temperatures.
    Koy Schoppe you are correct. The same cast iron used with two different stones. The stones are arguably different quality (they had different prices for sure) but they both work. My real point is that you don't need to spend $100 on a stone.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    @Koy Schoope, if you have GrillGrates, try flipping them over and making smash burgers. Works like a charm.

• Koy Schoppe
    replied
    pittkappasig I don't think he was saying he used it as a combo. He was saying he cooked pizza on a griddle and on a stone (two different stones) with little to no difference in result.

Leave a comment:

• pittkappasig
    commented on 's reply
    Read the post, going to try the cast iron griddle/stone combo. Any insight into the logic behind that move? Does the griddle hkd more heat to pass thru to the stone.

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    Reviews of the PQ were quite good on Amazon. But I would highly recommend trying the method I used first, and then see if you think you need the PQ. The balancing act works quite easily, and the stone can be raised other ways.

• martybartram
    commented on 's reply
    you are preheating the stone, correct?

• martybartram
    replied
    pittkappasig On my 22" weber with SNS I use a cast iron griddle on the cooking grate and have used two different stones without any difference. The first is a Pampered Chef stone that we have had for 20+ years and the other is a pizza stone we picked up for a song at Cracker Barrel. This last cook I put charcoal in the SNS and on the charcoal grate and it sped things up for me considerably. I use lump on the charcoal grate because it burns hotter. I put KBB in the SNS for consistency. Here is that post https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...a-on-the-grill

Leave a comment:

• pittkappasig
    replied
    I might have missed it because there's a lot of comments on this thread but what's the brand on the stone? Mine stinks... PBC puts out a decent Za but I'm struggling with the SnS and straight kettle.

Those pics... 😳😛🤔

This site has already ruined such restaurants as Capital Grille, every burger joint, Mexican, Portguese, BBQ, chicken places and pretty much everywhere we eat... Except coal fired pizza, I can't get a handle on it!

Leave a comment:

• JDenver
    replied
    Koy Schoppe, your initial post really has me thinking about pizza on the grill. Something I want to try very soon. I was thinking about the Pizzakettle, but the price scared me and I read Meathead's review saying it didn't make the pizza any better or easier than just on the grill. The other day, I saw the PizzaQue at HD for the first time. It looks like it solves a couple of things you mentioned - not having to balance the lid and raising the stone. Plus, it comes with a stone and a paddle as well as being considerably less expensive than the Pizzakettle.
    Later that day, I did a search on AR to see if anyone reviewes the PizzaQue and it brought me back to your thread because apparently you saw the PQ not long before I did! I may pull the trigger on one relatively soon. I'll post an update once I do.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    #MCS ... You got it bad.👌

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here