Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Low and Slow with the Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Low and Slow with the Slow 'N Sear

I've used the Slow 'N Sear for a couple of high temp cooks, a whole chicken and a pork tenderloin, but yesterday was my first low and slow cook with it. Did a pork butt and I have to say it came out fantastic. It was ridiculously easy to keep the pit temperature around 250 degrees for 9 hours on a single chimney of briquettes. I resisted the urge to open the kettle until the butt reached an IT of 181 degrees when I wrapped it to continue the cook. I replenished the coals with a half chimney of unlit briquettes at 9 hours and still had coals left in the pit at 12 hours. At an IT of 203 degrees it went into the faux cambro for an hour or so. Served the pulled pork with a Carolina Mustard Sauce. My girl friend raved about what a good job I'd done, but I told it was pretty easy using the Slow 'N Sear.

The Slow 'N Sear surpassed my expectations. It's refreshing to find a product that actually lives up to, and surpasses, its claims!

-Dave

That's a good looking cook ...

Comment

Nice cook IPADave

Comment

Great cook. Well done. And you deserve some credit too...for choosing the SnS and using it properly!!

Comment

Thanks, gentlemen! In the days leading up to my pork butt cook, I read all I could find on this site about cooking them. So a big thanks to the contributors and posters here. A special thanks to Huskee. His post on the thread "wrap or not" showed me the way.

-Dave

Comment

Very cool, how big was the butt? 12 hours total?

Comment

Indeed Immaculate!!

Comment

WOW, that looks fantastic. Great job on that.

Comment

Ya done good IPADave .

Comment

Nice!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PBCDad View Post
                      Very cool, how big was the butt? 12 hours total?
                      Yes, 12 hours total. The butt was 4.5 lbs before trimming which was minimal as it was pretty clean from the market. I had a strange stall at 155 degrees. It stalled there for a 45 minutes and then actually dropped to 153 degrees and stayed there for another hour even after I opened the vents a bit and went to 270 degrees on the pit temp for 45 minutes. Even after the stall the IT rose very slowly. In any case I'm very pleased with the end result. My girl friend tells me that I'm my worst critic when it comes to the food that I cook, but this time I'm really happy (and so was she).

The lesson I learned is that the the SNS really allows one to control the temperature of the pit with minor adjustments of the vents. Once again I have to say that the SNS is a fantastic product.
                      Last edited by IPADave; June 5, 2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

That looks fantabulous!

JMHO, but I'm thinking you shouldn't have told your gf it was easy. More like a difficult art, one of your many talents.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
                          That looks fantabulous!

JMHO, but I'm thinking you shouldn't have told your gf it was easy. More like a difficult art, one of your many talents.

I have to give props to my GF (we've been together for 17 years). She is my sous chef on the weekends and pretty much is "there" for all my cooking adventures. She did the trimming of the butt, dry brined, and seasoned the pig with the MHMD. She also did the pulling! She always reinforces my successes and minimizes my failures.

-Dave

Comment

• richinlbrg
                            richinlbrg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Never mind, that's very different (in my best Rosanna Danna voice).
                            Sorry, she's not your gf, she is your better half! LOL
                            Here's to 17 more, and then some!

Originally posted by IPADave View Post

I have to give props to my GF (we've been together for 17 years). She is my sous chef on the weekends and pretty much is "there" for all my cooking adventures. She did the trimming of the butt, dry brined, and seasoned the pig with the MHMD. She also did the pulling! She always reinforces my successes and minimizes my failures.

-Dave
                          Thanks for that. Of course, you are absolutely correct. She is my better half!

-Dave

Hmmm. That reply didn't work like I was expecting. My reply was to richinlbrg's reply.
                          Last edited by IPADave; June 5, 2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

IPADave Everything you did on that cook is EXACTLY how I do mine (except I use a diff rub) but the butt size, the timing, wrapping, and so forth exactly. Congrats on the stress-free successful cook!

Comment

• IPADave
                              IPADave commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you, Huskee!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here