Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI on B & B Briquettes with the SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI on B & B Briquettes with the SnS

With 40 degree temps and no wind sucking the life out the kettle, you can attain 15-16 hours at 225 if you line up and somewhat anally stack the briquettes. I stack them vertically, and I don't stack the ones I will be pouring back in from the chimney. Couple wood chunks somewhere in the mix.

If you have any leaks, over time (major leaks 2-3 hours; minor leak 5-6 hours), it will gradually want to creep up on ya since this is a really hot burning charcoal.

How often do you have to sweep out the ash? Unless you are using a pit contoller/fan set up?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a controller 99% of the time. This stuff actually produces less ash than standard Kingsford. It falls in between lump and Kingsord with respect to ash production.

Interesting. I only use kingsford blue bag as I am still getting up to speed, but I do find that they kick off a lot of ash and I have had a few cooks choked off before I realized what was going on. I might try this set up tomorrow, with the Kings blue, as it is going to be -5 and I suspect I will need the fuel for a 'short' 12 hour cook for a few butts. (Weber kettle with SnS)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      if you line up and somewhat anally stack the briquettes. I stack them vertically, and I don't stack the ones I will be pouring back in from the chimney.
      As different people have different perspective of what "stacking vertically" means, could you elaborate or photo what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by WillTravelForFood View Post

As different people have different perspective of what "stacking vertically" means, could you elaborate or photo what you mean?
        Lines of briquets upwards. I start on the opposite end where the chimney will be poured and just stack vertically. There's a corner, so I put one in that corner, then stack on top that one, and just keep working my way towards the void that will be lit coals from the chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          ...and somewhat anally stack the briquettes..
          I will continue to use my tongs to stack them, thanks.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Hey, "somewhat" reall means "not really" sometimes

Thanks. I just bought a bag yesterday when I was at my Ace. Been very happy with them this far.

Comment

What did we do wrong if it took AN HOUR to get to 225 ?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              How did you light? How many? How are the vents set?

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I have also found that B&B takes longer to get going as well. I now use KBB or Pro to start the fire with B&B in the SnS.

Jerod Broussard one light cube, pile of BB in corner of SNS. After about 20m, smoke cleared, loaded up rest of insert.

bottom at about half (which is basically all open), and top vent about 3/4 .

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I have never used light cubes with B&B. Gas powered chimney lighting and all vents are wide open until 200-ish (depends how fast things are progressing). I load the meat immediately before dumping the chimney.

Interesting - I had adventures with my most recent cook on the SnS kettle using B&B, I'm still learning this approach (only my 6th cook with it, and only the 3rd low & slow). In addition to not loading in enough unlit coals, I think I dialed the vents back too soon. Next time I'll make a point of leaving things wide open until closer to target T.

Comment

Over the years I've become a bit of a charcoal snob. B&B orange bag is my overall favorite (I liked Weber briquettes equally as well but it's been discontinued). These briquettes are big. They burn really long and put out a very clean oaky aroma. They are slow to light though and I mostly limit their use to low/slow. They do burn pretty hot so gotta be careful with airflow on long cooks. I really like using a handful unlit underneath lit coals for an intermediate length cook - large halved russet potatoes, small birds like chicken, etc. They can really extend the length of a cook when used in that manner. My go-to for hot and fast grilling is Kingsford Professional. It heats up fast and burns hot and clean. That's about all I use these days. Every once in a while I will use lump, but unless I can find it at a really good price I find it to be unpredictable and with too much variance with the size of the pieces. If I can find a bag or two of really cheap charcoal I keep it on hand and use it as kindling for the stick burner. Other than that, it's Kingsford Pro and B&B orange bag.

Comment

I also use the lighter cubes even though I could use my genesis to light the chimney. I keep forgetting. I keep all vents and holes open until I get to around 200. I’ve used the X4 once and it was within 20 degrees of the lid thermometer so I will stick to that. I’d say it takes about a half hour to get where I want it. Used B&B mostly and some Kingsford.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here