Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow and Sear Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow and Sear Question

When doing a low and slow cook how many coals is it recommended to start with?

Note: I know weather conditions and whatnot might affect the number and I know to pour the coals into one corner to set up a fuse.

JeffJ, hope your day is going well!

12 well lit in a corner of the SnS, then add a chimney of unlit. Here's the full lighting instructions.

Comment

Fuzzydaddy nailed it. The beauty is we're not really setting up a fuse, we're just adding a chimney of cold briquets to 12-15 well-lit briquets in the corner. Easy peasy.

Tip: If you have a Weber charcoal chimney, flip it upside down. Set a lighter cube (if you use them) in the center of the 'grate' in the chimney, and then pile your 12-15 coals on top. The downward angle of that grate when flipped upside down works perfectly to light a small number of coals.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        I stack my 12 briquets on one side of my chimney and light my can of sterno directly underneath for 5 minutes. Pretty easy

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        A can of sterno. Very interesting. we have a couple that have dried out and don't work well in our tabletop grill (like you get with a pupu platter)

@Jeff3, Yesterday while running a Cold Wx Test of The S 'n S-Weber-DigiQ Controller & Fan! I started with 20 Briquets of Kingsford BB Lit in one Corner of the S 'n S! I added 72 Briquets Unlit to the top! The Temps here in Fargo were +- 0* F all Day! I started at 11:00 AM and shut it down at 8:00 PM. The coals were running out as evidenced by the Temp Swings but the Grill Temp was still reading 216* F. I let the Temps Spike in the first few Hrs. But I think it it Fair to Say that 92 Briquets netted 9 Hrs. Grill Time! This test is going to be repeated Shortly! Hope this Helps You
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

We seem to get 8-10 hrs on the hottest summer day w/ one chimney and 8-10 hrs on the coldest winter day. 90° vs. 0°. I'd say that's pretty darn good! Thanks for your cold weather test Danjohnston949!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish I would have gotten the Temp down earlier! I think I have it nailed Now! That is if my Old Timer's Doesn't Get Mixed Up With My Add? Thanks Huskee! Dan

Thank you all. These responses confirm what I instinctively thought.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here