Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex turkey breast

I've done roasted chicken in the kettle using the vortex with great results...
    should work for a turkey breast too, no?

Don’t know why it wouldn’t work.

Comment

I haven't done that, but my concern would be that a turkey breast might be too thick and the outside would get over cooked before the inside is done. If you could keep the temp around 350°, you should be OK.

Has anyone actually done this? What temp did you use?

Comment

You are the cook, so "remember time and temperature". Turkey breasts are larger than chicken breasts.
        You can do it, and don't forget pictures.

Comment

Never thought of doing a turkey breast in the vortex. I might just do that this year. It would be really easy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221105_105830.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1321029 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221105_174704.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1321028 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221105_162433.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1321031 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221105_190446.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1321030 So, I gave this a shot today. I would say it turned out good, not great.
            Cooked faster than expected, (1:15) had intended to pull at 150, but ended up not pulling til 165. By the time everything else was ready, it wasn't dry, but I've definitely had juicier.
            it wouldnt fit on the chicken holder, but fortunately I was able to get it to stand on its own...
            Served it up with mashed taters and roasted brussels...
            probably will try this again, using this experience to make it better next time...
            ​ ​​​​​​​
            Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I have never cooked inside the vortex but I've seen others do it. I wonder if you would have been happier cooking outside of the vortex?

Interesting cooking method. That wasn’t what I was expecting.

Comment

Still don't know why one needs to buy an inverted "cone " to cook poultry?? Charcoal, flame, temp control. time, and a watchful eye should be all that's needed. It's a grilling accessory I don't think I'll ever need! But to each his/her own! Just sayin'!

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I made mine from a $3 bowl I got from Goodwill. You don't need any charcoal basket but they can improve performance and can be convenient. A vortex does both very well.

• Finster
                Finster commented
                Editing a comment
                One doesn't.
                One likes to try different things..

Vortex fried chicken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1079424&d=1629329356.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1321673

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here