Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna stay old school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna stay old school

So I’ve looked and speculated and tried but im
    jusy too old and experienced to change.
    I cook by feel and sight and touch and smell and I just have no desire to change what just isn’t broken.

Bought the SNS for my 26. It’s a pretty cool charcoal basket w/ a built In water pan. Does it do anything I haven’t been doing without it for 2 decades? No.

Vortex ( this on I’ll keep as it is an improvement on my old double baskets as it takes up less then 1/2 the space.)

Sent back the SNS-500 because… why? I have never needed help with figuring out how hot my kettle was and a thermopen confirms the meat is done at my normal times.

I mean no disrespect to anyone making or using these items. If they help you feed your family or enjoy your hobby then I say rock on. For me the last thing I want is to complicate something as simple and relaxing as bbq and cooking supper for my family.

I get that this will make me unpopular around here but I’m a bottle of Jim Beam in and feeling honest!

Clay
    Last edited by CHNeal; October 30, 2022, 05:10 AM. Reason: Edit to remove the pissy ( Bourbon) sound that wasn’t meant!

"Can't teach an old dog new tricks" comes to mind 😂.
    ​​​​​​A thermometer takes the guesswork out on low and slow when cooking big hunks of meat. Agree that knowing the cooker temp is not as critical as long as you in the ballpark, but knowing when the meat is at the desired IT is important, imho.
    Takes away the "hit and miss" scenario.

Comment

I totally get what you are saying!

The SnS was phenomenal when I was just starting out. It's not just the SnS, but the videos (Postal Barbecue on YouTube, primarily) that helped normalize and standardize things for me so I could get experience.

I'm now four years in and I rarely use it, save for sear+roast. That does not mean it is a bad product; I absolutely recommend it, but I've moved on to other smokers.

Unequivocally, without question, if I could not have afforded my PBC or Chimp, I'd be using the SnS all the time. That's why I don't feel like I've "outgrown" it. In fact, that I've been in this hobby for as long as I have is directly due to the early successes I got with that SnS, especially my first pork butt.

Comment

Got the SNS for my Weber 22 about 7 years ago when the SNS was still sort of a prototype. Thought it was fantastic because it created 2 well-defined zones on that kettle. Have since moved on to an offset and other cookers that don’t need that sort of baffle or separation system. My guess is the SNS is less effective on larger cookers like a 26" kettle because there’s plenty of room between fire and food if you want to cook indirect. But it’s a great setup for the 22.

Comment

Whatever works best for you!

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            +3

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Uh, what number is next?

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan don't know the next number, I lost count. It got too complicated for me.

Sounds good. Now pass that Jimmy B on over here!

Comment

• Alan Brice
            Alan Brice commented
            Editing a comment
            The Beam family has long been a fav in this family. Booker is a rare treat!

Can't teach an old dog new tricks? No new tricks I want to learn anyway.

Comment

I don't have the 26" Kettle, just the 22". But the Vortex was a game changer for me. I bought the SnS, but didn't really do anything spectacular or what I could do without it (just my experience). Ended up giving the SnS to my brother.

Comment

I never use my SnS. All my low and slow cooks are on the pellet cooker. My kettle is mostly a dedicated chicken machine with the Vortex. Occasionally the rotisserie goes on it too.For the roto I use the Weber baskets.

Comment

I agree with ya Clay, a newbie may need all those gadgets getting started, after years of experience we do not need so much.

Comment

Naw, man, not unpopular at all! Props, respect.

THE FOOD EITHER TASTES GOOD, OR IT DOESN’T. EVERYTHING ELSE IS B.S.

Once you’re there, stop spending money. Unless you like gadgets more than cash.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like gadgets more than cash

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hoovarmin Sometimes I do, too. That’s why I added that.

Gotta follow your instincts. Now me, I’m adaptive and can/will try all kinds of new things. Maybe it’s my nerdy nature but I enjoy trying new devices to see if they bring anything new to the game.

Comment

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm the same way. Cooking/BBQ is my hobby and I love buying new gadgets/equipment to play around with. Some things have been really amazing and others just sit on the shelf now.

If you have a bottle o bourbon, your still popular.

Comment

Just for fun, I cut up broken Weber chimneys and used the aluminized steel to make rigs for the kettle.
                    You can make a Vortex, a 50/50 rig, a snake rig, or even a mini chimney.
                    You also can make a snake rig that fits inside of a S&S.
                    I’m frugal and I saved my broken chimneys over the years so the rigs were free!
                    Bbq mike g on YouTube if you want to see how I made them.
                    They work on 22s, 26s, and I even use them on my Ranch.
                    For fun and for free!

Comment

I purchased SnS for a 22" Weber kettle and now use it for a 26". I can cook without it and continue to use it because it holds the coals in place and I like the convenience of the built-in water reservoir for low n slow. It is a great searing machine for reverse sear steaks. The two biggest drawbacks for me are it limits grate capacity and it is sometimes difficult to get the coals and wood chunks to fit to install the grate.

A month ago I purchased an OK Joe Bronco and have used it for two cooks. It is now my go-to smoker for low n slow. Unless I just want to smoke on the Weber or need to run two smokers simultaneously my SnS is now just a searing machine.

Bottom line, though, as others have noted above, do what works best for you. If you have experience with a kettle you definitely don't need the SnS to make great food.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here