Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Slow 'N Sear review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Slow 'N Sear review

David over at BBQDryRubs.com just published a review of the Slow 'N Sear and it's a doozy. Please give it a read and let him know what you think in his comments at the bottom of the page. http://www.qualitygrillparts.com/slow-n-sear-review/

I wrote my comment yesterday. An excellent review!
    I was disappointed in someone else's review that ranked the SnS below the smokenator, which shocked me, but still a good review.

You're on a roll, David Parrish ! CONGRATULATIONS!

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      It was on about.com. It wasn't a negative review. It was a list of several awesome BBQ accessories and the Slow 'N Sear was #8. I'm not sure he had the accessories in rank order, though, so I'm not sure the SnS being #8 meant the first 7 things were better.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, just saw this. It was not at all a negative review. Quite positive, in fact. I was just surprised that it was #8, and that the smokenator was on the list.

Sorry if I worded it poorly.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Understood David Parrish richinlbrg the wording made my brain think something else.

Super nice!

Comment

Congrats, David! I only wish the SnS had been available back when I still had kettles. Would've saved me thou$and$! 😐

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        We got here just as fast as we could

I'm going to give you a review of Adrenaline Barbecue customer service. In a word: Superb!! I called the hotline at 8:15 pm, expecting to get voicemail. I got the Man Himself, David Parrish! He got all the details of my problem, and gave me some good advice. My next cook was amazing! We had a good chat, and he didn't act like he was in a big hurry to get me off the phone. This is real customer service, like it should be. Keep it up, Adrenaline Barbecue!
      Last edited by Thunder77; January 2, 2016, 11:26 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        I enjoy what I do and love talking to SnS owners, so you did me a favor by calling

The bark on those ribs was awesome.

Comment

And another review! These guys are pretty cynical reviewers, so it's especially cool to get their seal of approval.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, that is awesome! Glad to see those great reviews coming in. Personally, after doing my first pork butt with the SnS, I will never go back to my old ways!

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          @Pit Boss

What's the scoop using lump with the SNS?

I'll probably use charcoal only for the break-in, following the User Guide as a level set before I start experimenting, but was just curious as I am using lump more often than not these days.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I think briquets work best, but lump works just fine. Any fuel you use in a kettle you can use in an SnS. =)

His initial cook rib eye was was WAAAY overcooked! What a waste of a nice piece of meat. Congrats on the nice reviews, guys!
        Last edited by Dewesq55; January 4, 2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah agreed, but that seems to be the way he likes them. He cooked them to 125F before searing, which indicates he was shooting for high medium to medium well. Can't argue he didn't get what he was shooting for!

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          True dat!

David Parrish, I tried to post a comment but it kicked back as a duplicate? What I wanted to bring to their attention and thank them for was the depiction showing the Use Of Foil to cover the Coal Grate on the Indirect Side! I have not seen anywhere before directions on covering the grate! I can certainly see where this would improve heat circulation in MHO! Perhaps ABC.COM Could have a little detail on this in the S 'n S lighting and vent mgm't section?
        Eat Well and Prosper! Dan

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          We mention foil in a couple of places but you're right. I'll consider making it more obvious.

Nice review! I actually had to dig my Smokenator out of the recycle bin over the Holidays when my parents came down and I had butts on the PBC and we decided to do a couple of racks of baby backs to boot.

I decided to cut off all the metal on top to make one large opening (a la the SNS) and just use a foil pan with water in it above it - it worked better, but I can see how the SNS would be superior due to the much larger firebasket. I only got about 3 hours of heat from the wide open smokenator packed to the gills with lump - if that could be bumped up that would be ideal. I am still a bit skeptical about the SNS water reservoir, but this many satisfied users cannot be wrong.

Since it looks like my Lang purchase will be put on hold due to insufficient funds, I think I'll give the SNS a whirl.

Plus, like Jerod said - the bark on those ribs look jam-up!

Thanks for sharing David - Happy New Year from Charlotte's sister city!

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          My SNS just came in yesterday - super-fast shipping!!

I'll be trying it out this weekend with some ribs!

I can tell from the weight of the SNS that it is made with much more quality than the Smokenator - I am looking forward to trying it out.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          We all look forward to your thoughts (pretty sure you might like it) and maybe some pictures too! HC in SC

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do! I'll probably do a comparison of my heavily altered smokenator (still have the times / temps / coal and water refills from the last cook) vs. the SNS.

Just curious if anyone noticed that the original review with the thick ribeyes had what appeared to be black pepper on the steaks? I think I read somewhere here on AR that black pepper will burn at high heat i.e. when during the sear part of a cook.

Great reviews for a great product. I told my bro about the SnS and he bought one and bought two more for gifts.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I pepper my steaks or use BBBR then sear. As long as you don't go crazy with your sear to the point of burning everything I think it works out fine.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          In my experience the burnt stuff mostly falls off anyway.

Awesome reviews, pretty cool.

It’s impressive. Kudos to the designers.

Comment

Congrats David Parrish! Also in Italy we like SnS. And btw, awesome reviews!

Comment

After reading the reviews, I want one! And I don't even own a kettle!!! LOL!!!!!

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              You wouldn't be the first person around here to buy a kettle so they could try out the SnS

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here