Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S n S temp probe placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S n S temp probe placement

My son got me a slow n sear for Christmas and my first cook was a rack of baby back ribs. I own a Weber platinum 4 burner gasser, an 18 in WSM and of course my 22 in One Touch Gold, so I am experienced in grilling and smoking. I fired up the slow n sear for low and slow and soon it was performing perfectly, holding 225 with minimal vent adjustments. My question is this: I inserted the temp probe thru the top vent and was reading temps at 1.5 inches above the food grate. After checking the temp at the food grate, I found a 10-15 degree difference (lower) at the grate. I checked the baby backs at 5 hrs and they didn't pass the bend test. After another hour the ribs began to tear and 1/2 hour later they were done (6.5 hrs total), a long time for baby backs. I think on my next rib cook I will rig up a food rack 1.5 in above the original rack and maintain 225 at that level, thereby shortening the cook by approx one hour. I would appreciate your feedback on this. I've been a club member for over a year now and enjoy the blogs. I also think the Slow n Sear is a great invention and will continue to use it often. Thank you.

Welcome johntown, we're glad you're posting! Your son must love you very much to give you such an awesome present (in my not so unbiased view).

Your idea might help speed up the rib cook, but it'd be easier just to crank your temps up to 250 F.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      David Parrish, I agree with everything You Said! Until you got to the Cranking Part! My 23 T that I got New for my 16th Birthday is a lot of Work To Just Crank! Better to Keep the Battery Fluid Up! HAPPY NEW YEAR! Dan

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL Dan sometimes I wonder about you...

This Pic and info go with the above Comment! HAppy NEW YEAR! EAT WELL AND PROSPER! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

A new 23 T when you were 16? Does that make you 108 years old? Wow, I'm impressed.

Happy New Year!!!

Jim

Comment

Danjohnston949 ....which 16th birthday are you referring too?

Comment

Welcome to The Pit johntown! Ribs typically take me around 7 hrs, sometimes a little less sometimes even a little more. Baby back ribs can be the longest to cook in my experiences because of thicker meat, perhaps that's just how they come in my neck of the woods due to how the butchers around here trim them....although I know Meathead says his baby backs take around 3. I've never had ribs take only 3 hrs. So if yours were done around 6.5 hrs, consider that perfectly normal, at least for some of us! I like to cook 225-240. I just use my Maverick probe clip that came with it, or a gumball-sized ball of foil, and place the prob about 2" from the rack on one end or the other, as opposed to between the rack and the heat.
          ----------------------------------

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here