Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A better kettle to smoker option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better kettle to smoker option?

There's no doubt that the Weber Kettle is probably the most successful charcoal cooker ever. And while most people use it primarily as a grill, the more adventuresome, as in members of The Pit, have also used it for smoking. The "safe" modification/accessory is to use an SNS type of device to contain the fuel off to one side, allowing indirect cooking on the remainder of the grate. The addition of smoking wood chunks give a reasonable simulation of more traditional smoking devices without the need to take up patio space with a complete additional cooking unit. Or, if not interested in a purpose built accessory, some fire brick or other blocking device can accomplish a similar separation of zones.

The tradeoff with the above methods is a loss of useable grate space. A typical SNS type device, or fire brick dam, renders approximately 1/3 of the grate space as unusable for indirect cooking, and limits to some degree the amount of fuel load at a given time. Grates with hinged portions help with refueling on the fly, but mean you need to give more focus to your fire management if going for a longer smoke.

One recent alternative has been shown on here by Mosca, a two piece device that consists of a deflector plate and a fuel containment ring. I'm not sure how limited the fuel load actually is compared to the SNS, but it appears to be similar or maybe slightly more. But having the fuel below the deflector plate does leave you with the full surface of the grate for food placement. As Mosca has reported, there doesn't seem to be any undue concentration of cooking heat at the edges of the deflector plate. Priced at about $100 it's in the neighborhood of the SNS budget wise.

There is another alternative that I came into using by a sort of back door way, but it was clearly designed to be another option for Weber kettle users. A bit over a year ago I purchased a Kamado Joe Kettle Joe which featured what they call a SloRoller. This is an engineered venturi shaped component that separates the fire area from the grate with the claimed outcome being a churning of the smoke and heated air forming a convection action that evens out the distribution of cooking gases. The Kettle Joe ends up being a quasi-kamado style smoker which functions well, though the jury might be out on whether it produces any better flavor outcome than not having that vortex/venturi affect.

As an add on to the Weber kettle though, it is a very good smoker conversion accessory from the standpoint of usable grate space, and larger fuel load capability. You get the full grate surface area, and the entire space of the lower bowl area to stack fuel...........including small splits if you wish to get smoke quality beyond charcoal briquettes or lumps. And, of course, with more space you'll enjoy longer cooking time without fuel burn out anxiety. On mine, I have gasket material on the bottom of the SloRoller ring, as well as the lid, so air management is strictly by the lower and upper vents of the Weber. It has functioned very well as a smoker. A couple cooks pictured here are a pork belly and some English cut beef ribs, both turned out well. KJ now sells the SloRoller assembly as an accessory on their site. It includes the venturi ring, a separate deflector plate and a two piece grate for $120, again, roughly in the range of the upper end SNS and the other device above. They currently show it out of stock, but it may be available through dealer stock. Kettle Joe™ SlōRoller™ - Kamado Joe Anyway, for folks willing to think outside the box of norm, this might be worth considering.

Click image for larger version  Name:	weber slo roll 01.jpg Views:	14 Size:	290.2 KB ID:	1283716
    Click image for larger version  Name:	weber slo roll 02.jpg Views:	13 Size:	302.7 KB ID:	1283717
    Click image for larger version  Name:	weber slo roll 03.jpg Views:	13 Size:	284.8 KB ID:	1283718
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; August 29, 2022, 09:27 AM.

You are both a madman and a genius, Bob. When I grow up, I'd like to be you.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a reason "here, hold my beer" is such a useful slogan

Looks weird, but I like the design. You get to keep full functionality of the vents.

Comment

Congrats on post 1k Uncle Bob !

Comment

Great idea. Does it come in Weber blue?

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why God invented paint in spray cans...............you can make it any color your heart desires. Change it every season if you want to.........hmmmmmm

That may be the idea of the year! A look at my cooking area will show a lot of Kamado Joe red. I didn’t buy the Joe grill because of some poor reviews. I will look closely at the slow roller if it will fit my kettle. I was about ready to park the old Weber out by the curb until I got a vortex. Now this addition could give me some more smoking space for large cooks. Thank you Bob and congrats on making the 1K club.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a perfect fit...........my guess is they planned it that way............piggybacking on the big dog can't hurt sales

I'm kind of surprised Weber hasn't stolen the slo-roller idea from KJ and offered it themselves. If they ever do, you can bet it will cost more than $120. I absolutely love mine, but have no use for it in my Weber since I have the Kamado.

Comment

Good write up. And congratulations ok 1k

Comment

That looks to be a very innovative mod. I guess my only critiques would be: 1. If for some reason you underestimate how much fuel you need, it would be an extra pain to reload. 2. Storage when not in use.

Comment

Very cool, love the idea and the fact that it is reasonably priced. Uncle Bob, you da man!

Comment

Congratulations Uncle Bob ! That's a very interesting device you have there.

Comment

My biggest issue with almost all of the (extremely worthy) Weber 22” accessories is what Rod said: storage. I’d love to have a slow roller, a Santa Maria setup, a pizza oven, and all that stuff. But I got nowhere to put it! I cadged a space for the rotisserie insert as it is! It’s almost easier to get a whole ‘nother cooker, y’know? My insert ring, and the S&S, fit a specific need for me: they fit inside the Kettle when not in use.

This really highlights the amazing adaptability and flexibility of the Weber design, though. You could buy the basic Weber, and use it capably for a lifetime as a grill, smoker, and what have you. But, if you wanted to, you could buy a basic Weber, and add a Slow Roller, a Santa Maria hoist, a pizza oven, a rotisserie, a smoking chamber, a griddle top… the possibilities are only limited by what you can imagine.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have all those accessories you mention in the second paragraph.................it's what I do I guess. The pizza "oven" is the least satisfying of the lot, for my tastes anyway.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Uncle Bob is a regular Consumer Reports... trying it out so we don't have to.

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Uncle Bob the one that really intrigues me is the 22” smoker conversion kit. Imagine that on a Performer! 😄

Very interesting! Thanks for the great writeup.

Comment

" Sold out"

Comment

Excellent write up. I'm on the list to be notified when they're back in stock.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here