Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally breaking it in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally breaking it in!

I got mine over a month ago but due to circumstances haven't been able to use it until today. I'm doing a 4 pound boneless turkey breast smoked over hickory and peach wood, hope to slice it to make turkey sammys. The directions tell you to use a firestarter cube with a dozen coals, that's the only instruction I disregarded. I got a dozen or so going in a chimney, packed them in the corner (along with a hickory chunk) and then added a 3/4 full chimney of unlit coals to the chamber along with some strategically peach and hickory wood.

So far the results have been amazing. Here in Wisconsin it's a sunny day but pretty windy with temps in the upper 40's. Just a few tweaks of the upper and lower vents (Weber Platinum Performer) and I've held a rock solid 250 dome temperature, 225 at the grate level. It's been on for almost two hours now and the internal temp is 131 so I've got a ways to go yet.

More to follow.

Sounds great so far! Got pics? =)

Comment

Coming soon.

Comment

ribeyeguy I am guessing this is for the Slow N' Sear?

Comment

Yep. My wife is taking pictures now.

Comment

Here's a couple, I'll take more when we cut into it. The yellow liquid in the pan is from an oil, garlic, onion and pepper baste that I'm using.

Comment

Lookin good. Keep em coming!

Comment

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that looks good!!!!!

Comment

ribeyeguy, Eric you are going to have to give up the Steel Bus. and Open a Local BBQ Joint! 👍👍🤗👍👍. Enjoy, Dan

Comment

• ribeyeguy
                    ribeyeguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL! Thanks Dan, unfortunately the steel bus is going to roll on for at least a few more years.

Besides the consistent temperature control you know what's really impressed me so far? The internal temperature of the meat. I'm used to having thinner sections measuring much higher than thicker sections but right now I'm at 153 in the thickest section and 155 in the thinnest. It may be from other factors, wind, cold, meat position, etc but I've never had readings this consistent across different thicknesses.

The plan is to take it to 160, pull it off and foil wrap it for 15 minutes or so to let it rise to 165. I'll have my wife take more pictures when we cut into it.

Comment

NICE!!!!!

Comment

It's off at 161. Slicing pictures to come shortly.

Comment

By the way, that was almost a four hour cook and there's still enough hot coals where it could continue on for at least another 2 hours, all on 3/4 of a chimney. Amazing product guys!

Comment

• David Parrish
                          David Parrish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Doe me a solid and leave us a review on Amazon

• ribeyeguy
                          ribeyeguy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Absolutely!

• David Parrish
                          David Parrish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you!

Yeah you can light coals any way you want, not really important. We just list what may be the easiest way for beginners. Is that a skinless breast or skin-on?

Comment

Skin on. Carving commencing in 3...2...1

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here