Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Knife - Aogami Super Steel Kiritsuke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Knife - Aogami Super Steel Kiritsuke

Very excited to try out my new knife. I love Japanese Gyutos and wanted to try something similar. This is a double bevel (Western Version) Kiritsuke master chef knife.

Kiritsuke knives are a hybrid design combining features of Japanese usubas and yanagibas. Usubas are dedicated vegetable knives while yanagibas are used to slice raw fish for sushi, as a consequence the kiritsuke is intended as a general purpose knife for use in preparing traditional Japanese cuisine. A number of makers now produce double bevel kiritsukes, often called kiritsuke gyutos, for western users who appreciate the striking aesthetics of the profile but need the added versatility of a double bevel grind. The kiritsuke’s reverse tanto profile makes the pointed tip very nimble but also delicate while the flat profile lends itself well to chopping and push cutting.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Glory; January 27, 2021, 06:49 PM.

Great lookin' knife for sure. And the blue steel # 1 should take and keep a great edge.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Need to hone (pun intended) my sharpening skills before I try to sharpen this one.

She’s a beaut! I can just picture using it.

Comment

She’s a beaut! I can just picture losing a fingertip using it.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch, hope not! LOL

Sweet lookin’ !!!!

Comment

Nice, I have a knife addiction problem, several Shun's, Wusthofs, a couple Henkles, Dalstrong. They all have their own strengths, and actually think sharpening and honing them is therapeutic.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          MKS is real!

Nice collection of blades. I have a few Shuns, Mac, Henkles, Wustoff, and three Kikuichis. As you said each one has it's own strengths. The Kikuichi gyoto knives are super thin compared to the Shuns. Feel light and nimble. They are lasers. If you get a chance check out some Japanese steel. It's a game changer. Makes cutting stuff fun. The German steel is big and bold. Not afraid of anything.

I am just learning how to sharpen my knives. I agree it can be zen like.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          If ya have MKS, don't visit kitchenknifeforums.com .

Very nice. Let us know how you like it.

Comment

I love my Mac’s. They are my "Go to." And razor damn sharp.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            My Mac Honesuki is a chicken boning machine.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I have that knife too. Yes sir, single bevel workhorse.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here