Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home knife sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been trying out water stones. This guy has some good videos

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      He even has a couple videos out there with him sharpening using a regular brick. A brick! He seriously knows his stuff.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      He's good but some of his technique is weird. Check out the playlist I linked above too.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory will do!

I've played with a few gadgets over the years but I've ended going back to the stone. I religiously use the steel every time, the family have learned which knives they can and can't use haha

Comment

I've been using a Chefs Choice like this one for years, and I'm very happy with it. I also second, third, or fourth the opinion that it really comes down to what you are used to and comfortable with.

Comment

My father in law used to work in a meat processing plant for many years. He had a slow moving whet stone on a base with a motor. Moves very slow. When he passed, I inherited. I use Old Hickory knives and really dont want to use anything else. They have a carbon steel and really hold an edge. I also have several honing steels that I use. Regardless of what you use I would recommend sharpening and learning to sharpen yourself.

Comment

Sharpening can be an obsessive hobby unto itself, and certain was for me, especially when I got into straight razors. I purchased several systems, but only kept the Edge Pro, which can produce amazing edges, but takes more time to setup and use than I generally want to spend these days.

What works for me now is waterstones. I keep a 1000, 2000, and 5000 stone under the kitchen sink, with a 1 x 4 wood plank I can use as a bridge to hold a stone under the kitchen faucet, and a diamond flattening plate. What I like about this system is I can touch up an edge in minutes, even in the course of preparing a meal if I'm not happy with the knife I want to use. The convenience, including quick cleanup, is a major plus.

Waterstones do take some practice. The key tool for me in learning was using a 10x magnifier (e.g., a loupe) to examine the edge and see what was happening: where I was working the bevel, whether I was getting to the edge apex, if there were micro chips I needed to work out, etc. Marking the bevel with a Sharpie is also a good aid when learning--makes evaluation of the process even easier. You can spend an hour working on a blade and never get it sharp if you can't evaluate what you're doing. But once you know your knives' angles and have developed a relaxed, consistent technique, it only takes a few minutes to get most knives back to scary sharp, as long as they've not been abused or allowed to get really dull. It can also be a relaxing, meditative experience, as long as you're not under deadline to a get meal on the table.

I have dozens more stones, plus strops, diamond pastes, the Edge Pro, etc. And I do occasionally break those out for an extended sharpening session on multiple knives.

I used to offer to sharpen for friends and coworkers. I'd always tape a band-aid to one of the sharpened blades with "Be Careful!" written on its wrapper. But even with the warning a colleague's boyfriend cut himself pretty badly with a I knife I'd sharpened, and so I'm no longer extending offers. I'd guess that most home kitchens don't have a single sharp blade, so a lot of people never learn how to use a knife safely.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            I also use an Edge Pro. I set mine with an angle cube and leave it set up so it's always ready for use or a quick touch up.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Marking the bevel w a sharpie was a brilliant idea! Will try it!

I use the Ken onion myself with great results.

Comment

Bought a WorkSharp E5 earlier this year and haven't looked back since.

Comment

I use the Ken Onion. Use to use Lansky and ceramic sticks. These worked well but the Onion, at the time, seemed to do a better job. However, as stated before, with different knife hardness of different manufactures has been noticeable lately. Some just do not stay as sharp and I end up sharpening them more often. I am considering some Japanese knives and will only sharpen those with stones. The KO leaves marks on the blades that I do not want on Japanese knives.
              The other issue is understanding the bevel that your knife will work at optimally. I have been sharpening my Victorinox and Wusthof at 15-17°. I am seeing that these just are not made to stay sharp at that extreme angle. I am in the process of changing them to 20°.
              I do like the KO, but also miss the Lansky and good ceramic sticks.

Comment

It just depends how hands on you wish to get. I’m not a device/machine/ gadget kind of guy. It was mentioned of 1000 & 5000 grit stones which I have, is what I use. Burrfection on YouTube knows his stuff. Doing it by hand, you do really get a feel for your knives. Whatever fits. I must say it is satisfying. 🕶
                Last edited by FireMan; October 2, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I have so many knives, with so many different alloys and angles, and an aversion to motorized metal eaters. I went with an overseas buy:

Comment

Late to the party.

I bought a KME set a while ago. Did a good job but very time consuming and have to change out stones.

Then I took the advice of fzxdoc, which went along the lines of it is a kitchen tool. It should be easy to use and fast. Got a Chef’s Choice. Small footprint, pretty much idiot proof and does a good job for me. Also does cerrated knives.

Fast, simple and easy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here