Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else find sharpening relaxing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else find sharpening relaxing?

I’m currently on vacation until Jan 2nd, but am on call until tomorrow at 8am. Each of us has to take a couple of days during the Christmas break.

When you’re on call, you can’t really do much, because as soon as you start something, the phone will ring!

So on a lazy on-call Saturday, I’m sharpening knives as I often do.

Anyone else find sharpening a relaxing pursuit? I often just put on a movie and work my way through the kitchen and steak knives. They come out super sharp, and I find I’m feeling better about everything afterwards.

Maybe I’m weird? Just curious if others feel the same way
    Last edited by andy.wpg; December 21, 2019, 11:30 AM.

I enjoy this too. I got into sharpening straight razors a few years back. It's really satisfying to sharpen a razor and then get a really good shave with it. Same with kitchen knives.

Comment

Can’t say I enjoy it per se but it’s one of the more rewarding tasks once it’s done. But every time I do sharpen them I will cut myself within 48 hrs. In fact I’m sporting a bandaid right now for that reason.

Comment

Not me. I find it super frustrating. I work and work and the blade never seems to be as sharp as i think it should be. I find the same with edged woodworking tools as well. My Chinese knockoff Japanese style single bevel knives from Kamikoto are the only really sharp knives in my kitchen and they came that way out of the box. I just touch them up periodically with a ceramic honing rod and they stay really sharp. They hold an edge really well.

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          I always struggled getting knives sharp too. So I sucked it up and bought the worksharp sharpener, just the standard model, and I love it. Buying new belts is a bummer but it really is a foolproof tool

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I just use a 80 grit flap on the 4" grinder. 30 seconds it's done!

Originally posted by Andrrr View Post
        Can’t say I enjoy it per se but it’s one of the more rewarding tasks once it’s done. But every time I do sharpen them I will cut myself within 48 hrs. In fact I’m sporting a bandaid right now for that reason.
        Been there - at least you know they heal faster when the knife is really sharp.

The thing that scares me is that my wife insists on tossing the good knives in the soapy water and just fishing around for them when she’s going to wash it. She does the washing, I do the drying.

I’ve warned her that they are very sharp and they will bite. But, I guess some people just have to learn the hard way.

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          I admit I’ve learned my lesson the hard way on that one

I love it in fact after seeing this post I am fixing to do some now. I use a stone screw those newfangled contraptions.

Comment

Not really. It kinda puts me on edge.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            That was a sharp response, you've really honed your wit.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, to a dull thud.

I don't have a good sharpener for the time being, so to me, no, it's a chore and I don't find it relaxing.

Comment

I do, but it's hard to find time. Hopefully next week.

Comment

Depends in the knife, and what I'm sharpening for.

Touching up edges on maintained knives - ooooh yeah.

Setting bevels or thinning out behind the edge on abused knives? Not so much....thought I did buy a 140 grit diamond plate, so maybe that will change

Razors - always! Theres something really zen about watching the water and edge interact until you see you have a good edge. Plus I like my coticules - really neat stones!

Comment

I’m not sure on the relaxing part because of the intense focus I feel I need. I use stone & a strop for my knives. Satisfying? Most assuredly!

Comment

I enjoy sharpening too. "My" knives are as sharp as I can get them and my wife won't use them - they scare her. "Her" knives I also sharpen, but not to the sharpness that I get my knives...

Comment

• radshop
                    radshop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why is this such a thing? My dad had sharp knives, and my mom was scared of them. I have sharp knives and my ex was scared of them. And I hear the same thing from a lot of guys. I know there lots of women who use sharp knives - I'm not trying to make a pejorative stereotype. But this is such a common thing. It makes me wonder....

I enjoy a sharp knife, but I have too many knives with differing angles. It took me forever to like my Misens because the angle is different than what I was used to with my Wusthofs. Currently I'm not good enough at sharpening my knives on a stone to find it relaxing, it's "stressful" but definately not a chore... so maybe that counts?

Comment

I'm still learning but getting better at it. I practice on my older and cheaper knives. I'd have to say it's kind of fun to learn how to sharpen.

Comment

Sharpening knives is not something I have any skill at. I have that little blue and white accu sharp I use before every cook. But, I think that is about as good it will get for me. I have strong temptation to buy a really nice chef knife, but, I think I need to find someone that professionally sharpens them before I buy one. I assume once or twice a year it will need to be sent out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here