Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KnifeAid by mail sharpening service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KnifeAid by mail sharpening service

"As seen on Shark Tank."

Anyone try this yet? I got no sharpening service nearby. I have a sharpening set but don't trust my skills.

Order professional knife sharpening today with our fast and convenient mail-in service. Join the professional chefs and home cooks who love our results and service.
    Last edited by Mosca; November 7, 2019, 10:52 AM.

I get nothing with the link

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Fixed it.

Mosca Hit some thrift stores or eBay for some cheap carbon steel knives and practice, practice, practice. What sharpening set do you have? I use an Edge-Pro with an angle cube and get consistent results.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I practiced with a bunch of cheap Cuisinarts, but I’m still not confident.

I got this set: https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Whets...7&s=hi&sr=1-11

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca I have a set of those as well. I never was good enough to keep a consistent angle so I went with the Edge-Pro. Hemmed an hawed between it and a Wicked Edge system, Edge-Pro won out, made in the PNW and can do scissors.

Mosca this might be further than you want to send your knives but without question this place in Minneapolis does great work. Several of the Minnesota Pit Members heard this man speak at the MN BBQ Spring Training last spring. I've also been to his shop and he is definitely for real. https://www.eversharpknives.com/abou...ning-services/
    Last edited by Skip; November 7, 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Fixed the link...

Order professional knife sharpening today with our fast and convenient mail-in service. Join the professional chefs and home cooks who love our results and service.

Comment

thank you

Comment

suggest you get yourself some splash and go whetstones grit 500, 1000 and 3000. double sided is fine too . Even the inexpensive King stones work just fine. Watch a few youtube vids and your skill will increase quickly. Well worth the effort . Better and more satisfying than any service.
          Also a ceramic honing steel used before each use will extend the time between sharpenings and keep the edge straight. Any good chef spends a few minutes sharpening their own knives. Also a leather strop works wonders for a razor sharp finish.

Comment

If I may suggest, you might want a more coarse stone then a 1k as your first stone. If you're repairing neglected edges it will take a long time to set your bevel - which means more opportunity to alter the angle you're holding the blade at.

As for sending knives out, eh, I think you would be better served practicing free hand or buying a sharpening system (DMT aligners aren't bad for smaller blades).

If you do want to send your knives to get sharpened, I have used ChefKnivesToGo.com to finish sharpen the Japanese knives I buy from them; and holy mackerels are they good at making knives crazy sharp. They also have a sharpening service available for folks.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
              Jon Liebers commented
              Editing a comment
              I recommended a 500 grit, a 1000 and a 3000. Personally I then finish with the strop.

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw that after I hit post, I took too long in writing my reply, whoops!

I also forgot to say if Mosca goes the freehand route he will want a lapping plate (cheap way is some 220 grit wet or dry sand paper on a granite tile) to keep his stones flat.

I can't load the link from my phone but you might want to check out the YouTube link Warthog Sharpeners - Blade Show 2019 (USA). It features a knife sharpener that's made in SA and has great reviews on sites I've checked out. I discovered it in a speciality shop past weekend and I am going to get myself one. Not sure what they charge in the States but it's R550.00 ($38) locally.

Comment

To be honest I boungt a Chef's Choice 120 sharpening machine. It is as good as any professional sharpener. It is capable of sharpening scalloped blades.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here