Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Knife

Dalstrong Phantom series 6.5" curved boning knife. AUS-8 Japanese steel (HRC 58). Comes with a lined hard plastic sheath which opens, but you don't need to open it to put the knife in or out. Handle is laminated pakkawood with a Japanese style "D" handle.

It came in perfect condition. Appears to be extremely sharp out of the box. Can't wait to use it on something - probably to trim up my brisket this weekend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191002_155048.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	750768

Congrats on the new knife! That will make trimming the brisket pretty nice!

Comment

Nice! New knives are a treat for sure!

Comment

That is a nice looking knife.

Comment

That is a beaut also. It must be in the air. Nice!

Comment

Congrats. Nice lookin' knife.

Comment

Very nice, let us know how well it works.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

New toys are fun

Comment

Looks like a fine knife. Enjoy.

Comment

Congrats, brother!

Gorgeous lookin Dalstrong, oughtta work a right treat on that brisket...

Be double-dog, dang dang careful to keep yer fingers outta th way, cut proof gloves recommended...

I live 3 blocks from th ER...how bout yerself???

Comment

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mr. Bones I always figured you to be like me...I keep merthiolate and a stitch kit handy at home and in my hunting rucksack.

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        texastweeter Indeed, My Brother, I do keep alla dat, includin in my vehicles...tincture of merthiolate, betadyne, sutures, 2x2 gauze out da wazoo..

I'm a trained, good, an vastly experienced field medic...Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Speckled Forkses..

have done plenty stitches on others, in time of need, an some on my dang self...

much
                        Much
                        MUCH
                        Harder to do on one's self, but sometimes they's compulsory...
                        Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 8, 2020, 09:39 PM.

• RichieB
                        RichieB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        After multiple bleeding events I acquired some of the cut proof gloves @mrbones suggested. My next challenge, remember to use them. I'm a one hellava shmuk at times.

That looks like fun!

Comment

Looks great. May I ask the source and cost?

Comment

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I bought it on Amazon. It was $69.71 with free 2 day prime shipping.

I've been super happy with my Dalstrong offerings. And the ones I had issues with their customer service made more than right. Definately not the best knives out there, but extremely hard to beat for the price when you add in their customer service. They are Chinese made, but the owners are in the US and respond very quick, AND are over accommodating to legit concerns. I only have stuff from their Shogun lines, but the edge holds great and hand feel is very good for me. I used to love the well known German branded knives I inherited from my Grandma but while those old ones are amazing, I haven't been impressed with the current offerings from both of them in similar price ranges.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                          Polarbear777 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The shogun series is almost all I use now.

New Dalstrong for me. My first Gladiator. I have a set of Cuisinart knives - not too expensive set I bought at Costco. I really like them and especially like the "birds beak" paring knife. I wanted a second one, but couldn't find the knife by itself - only in sets. That led me to this...
                        Nice knife, but maybe they went a little overboard on the fancy package - they even included a Gladiator pin. Packaging looks to be about $3-5 of the cost. Anyway - I'll enjoy this knife - the Cuisinart can go in the dishwasher - this one won't. Those blades are only 2.5" long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_180211.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	800870

Resembling a bird's beak, Dalstrong's Gladiator Series 2.75" Birds Beak Paring Knife is the master of intricate cuts. Try it today. Free US Shipping.

Comment

• ofelles
                          ofelles commented
                          Editing a comment
                          treesmacker Always wondered what the advantage was to the birds beck style was.

• treesmacker
                          treesmacker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ofelles I like it for small paring jobs. I really like it for avocados; slice it in half, remove the pit, slice the halves in half, score into slices, and then use the backside of the birds beak to cleanly scoop out the slices. It works great for deveining shrimp. I use it to trim the florets off a head of broccoli. I had a recipe recently that called for a 2" slice of orange zest - it was great for that. Cutting olives in half. Really any small hand job. Saves from dirtying a cutting board.
                          Last edited by treesmacker; February 13, 2020, 08:28 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of ofelles.

• surfdog
                          surfdog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ofelles Anything you might want to cut "in hand"...makes short work of lopping the tops off of strawberries or trimming mushrooms for instance.
                          They’re also quite useful for tourne cuts. (Those "football" shaped cuts of potatoes & veg that impress everyone. LOL)

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here