Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which knives and how to protect the edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnetic strips for me.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. I need to use the blade guards, but the strip is more convenient and looks cool.

There are a lot of good suggestions here.

Comment

9” vs 8 or 10...just as you say, comfort & fit. The 10” I have sometimes feels a bit unwieldy...pushing into slicer territory. Since I use the 9” so often, an 8” just feels weird...and too short. If I want smaller I’ll grab a 6” or a utility knife depending on the task.

i started using knife rolls way back in culinary school and never saw a reason to stop. The knives stay safe & clean and take little storage space. And they’re portable...so I can take MY knives to other people’s homes when I’m helping there.

My ex liked to cook but could be hard on knives... She used to occasionally ask if she could use one of my "good" knives...I would let her...then cringe...and often do it myself. That might have been the plan. LOL

Oh, and a good steel. I HIGHLY recommend Friedr. Dick as they arguably make some of the best in the world.
      Last edited by surfdog; May 9, 2019, 10:02 AM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect...

Comment

I received this set (similar) as a wedding gift about 20 years ago. The only thing I've done to these knives is I NEVER put them in the dishwasher and I hone them before using. They have never been resharpended and to this day are as sharp as when I bought them. I've added a boning/filet knife and have asked for a Granton Roast Beef slicer for my birthday. My block stores the knives on their side. It's my opinion there are cheaper options out there, but I've certainly gotten tremendous value out of these (especially since they were a gift). Would highly recommend.

This video is a good start to weilding a knife in the kitchen, I certainly learned a great deal from his shows. https://youtu.be/JPZFVjrlTo8

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Henckels are a good brand...even if I'm not partial to boxed sets. They make some fine knives.

I use a wooden knife block in the kitchen and I hit each knife with a steel before EVERY use. When traveling, I use edge guards and transport them (along with a small steel) in a knife roll. I only sharpen them when they won't shave hair anymore ... which is only every two or three years.

Comment

I use a knife block that holds them sideways.

The knives I use the most... the ones that, were I trimming my set to the minimum, I would keep are:

8" Chefs Knife by Misen
          12" Victorinox Slicing Knife with Granton edge (linked upthread)
          Short boning knife... I'd guess about 5"
          4 Messersmith pacawood handled, smooth bladed steak knives.
          Pairing knife
          Cheap ass bread knife (there is no benefit to an expensive bread knife... they all lose their edge, they all kind of suck, but they all work better than any other knife for bread.

I would trim my set down to basically that, tomorrow, except that my wife uses a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT set of knives from the block... an 8" slicer, a short serrated utility knife, some other short knife... the other chef's knife or the santoku that I don't use anymore.

Chef, Carving/Slicer, Filet/Boning knife/Paring knife... that's the basic man who cooks meat and stuff outdoors kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnston View Post
            There are a lot of good suggestions here.
            agreed, the advice I read or get in this site often makes me look like a far better cook then I am.

Comment

My girlfriend bought me a set of Victorinox knives in a roll. Honestly, at first, I wished she had spent all the money on one really good knife but I've come to like this set. The knives stay on a magnetic strip unless I'm traveling in which case I use the roll. This is not the exact set but it's similar to this but with a santoku knife as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rhforschner-rhf46152-top.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	676569

Then I bought this inexpensive sharpener and have had razor-sharp knives ever since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61K3LB5d4HL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	676570

I'm guessing $150 or less for everything above.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for sharing, the sharpener is definitely a need! I saw that set and was thinking about it a bit.

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                I like it. I’m building that set, I have three of those knives shown. Pairing, slice and boning. Will get the chef knife next when my cuisinart is not up to par.

Thanks for sharing. Hadn’t seen the roll or set.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got this mixed up twice now. The set I have is not Victorinox it's a set of Mercer knives. This set in particular.

So, the Victorinox 12 inch knife that everyone is saying seems like the front runner, and I have a friend who sells them through his store, so hoping I get the good buddy discount. But, I kind of think I should start with a good chef knife first, I will use that more. Then add that 12 inch in a few months. Interesting, I can not find that roll on their site.

Comment

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that one seems to be well regarded around here.
                I don't own one but would have no problem picking one up based on the Pit reviews.

I use wooden magnetic knife blocks mounted on my kitchen wall to store the knives. It holds them securely, protects the blades, and makes them readily available. These are the ones I have: https://www.benchcrafted.com/magblok

They have been mentioned a couple times but I really like the white handled Dexter knives. I have a boning knife and a big, serrated slicer that are super sharp. And they are cheap enough to replace if needed. I hit the boning knife with a cheap handheld sharpener every few uses and it is plenty sharp. Don't know if I would use that sharpener on an expensive knife though.

I was having my meat slicer blade sharpened a few weeks back and I asked the guy doing the sharpening (he sharpens the knives for most of the restaurants in the area) what knives he likes and he said he really liked Cutco for stamped blades and Wustof for forged. Good to hear since I have a number of Cutco knives.

Comment

Incoming knife geek post...

First, regardless of what you use... KEEP IT SHARP. Use an electric sharpener, get and learn how to use whetstones (not hard), whatever but dull knives are dangerous knives.

OK now... for 30 years I used western stainless knives. They're fine, really. Recently, I've been bitten by the Japanese knife bug and... they're better. But...

Here's the thing - Western knives tend to be softer steel (or rather heat treated to a lower hardness). The good part about this is that they rarely chip and take to some cutting styles like rock chopping quite well. Downsides? They can't take as fine an angle as good carbon and hold it for any length of time and edge retention tends to be meh.

Japanese knives, including gyutos, which are the Japanese version of a chef's knife, are usually carbon or carbon clad in stainless. They're heat treated to a higher hardness, sometimes much higher. This means that they can take a more acute angle and hold it longer than a softer steel but it also makes them more prone to micro sized chips when swept laterally (i.e. rock chopping or scraping laterally).

Which is better? I think the Japanese knives I've bought get sharper and are easier to re-sharpen. If you prefer western knives but want carbon, I'd look for a Sabatier or something like it. You can sometimes find them used.

As for holding, I'll be moving from a knife block to a magnetic rack like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/4596365...=hp_rv-4&bes=1

Comment

For great value I don’t think you can go wrong with either Mercer or Victorinox. I use 9 pocket soft knife roll to keep my BBQ knives in. Protects the knives and is easy to store.

Comment

Turns out I have 2 Mercer knives...and they're probably the least expensive knives I own...and certainly the least expensive chef's knife. But I LOVE 'em.
                    My favourite size chef's knife is 9"...so one matches that and has a decent weight. It's the 9" competition knife. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Got that a while back...for culinary school competitions. Go figure. LOL

The other one is one of their 12" yanagi/shashimi knives. I keep it stoopid sharp...and it works like a charm. Both are kept in plastic blade guards and in one of my knife rolls.

I've used 8-pocket Messermeister rolls since my culinary school days. https://www.amazon.com/Messermeister...s%2C200&sr=8-3

I have several and keep them organized by use/cuisine. Not only do they keep my knives safe AND organized...but I can quickly grab one if I'm cooking somewhere else. Like for friends, family, etc. (Seeing as I don't cook professionally these days.)

Comment

Well, this might ruffle a few feathers, but let me give you a pros perspective. Regardless of what you spend, knives are just a consumable. If you really use it, it WILL wear out. Don't get me wrong, I have favorites and so on, but I know they will not last forever. Some can last longer than others, of course, but it will wear out because each sharpening removes a bit of metal, and the metal is not infinite, right? So, get what gives you what you want(pleasure is included), use it, and re-purpose(if possible) or replace when it can't do what you need it to do. Serve the food first, and worship the tools later.

Remember, it's the cook, not the tools. Also, the more you know(learn), the less you need...

Comment

I became infatuated with knives due to that Forged in Fire show and fell in love with the Kramer knives. Then I realized he only sells them at auction and when I saw the price I was close to an emergency room visit for heart issues!!!!!

I did however splurge last Christmas and bought myself the Kramer stainless steel Damascus by Zwillings

I freaking love the thing but because of the price I stored in the box

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here