Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which knives and how to protect the edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which knives and how to protect the edge

what does everyone use to store their knives and keep the edge? I need a slicing knife and a boning knife and I would like to get some knives and start to learn how to de-construct some of the cuts I like to cook at some point. I am hoping to slowly pick up a few knives along the way. But would like to protect them once I buy them. Any recommendations on blade sizes and knife designs that you can't imagine being without. I would need a bit of a heavier knife I believe.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 8, 2019, 06:49 PM.

I just use those plastic slide on things. But I don't really have any super expensive ones.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      You could probably find these in a dollar store or kitchen store.

I am really liking this boning knife

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep mine in a wood knife block

Comment

HawkerXP me neither on expensive knives, and not sure if I will or not, but, any money I spend I want to do my best to take care of it. I will check those sleeves out.

Old Glory Thank you for sharing the links. I will check them out. I have an old cheap Chicago cutlery block, not really built for this job I fear. Would be curious to see what knives and sizes fit in your block?

Comment

I use Blade Savers that I got from https://www.knifemerchant.com/ many years ago...after that the knives got into one of my Messermeister knife rolls/bags. The exceptions being my larger slicer and my cleaver. But both of those have Blade Savers on them as well.

As far as knives I couldn't live without...
      First and foremost, a 9" chef's knife. It's like an extension of my hand.
      A good quality paring knife.
      A good quality "utility" knife. I have both serrated & non-serrated...but either is useful.
      And finally a flexible boning knife.

Those can handle 90+% of everything most people might need.

As your kit grows, it's easy enough to add in pieces to fill the gaps or cover shortcomings of the basic set...things like a long slicer, bread knife, bird's beak, yanagiba, etc...

Comment

I would add a good slicing knife to the list similar to https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, this knife is what I have and love it.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the 10 inch version. It works well for slicing many cuts, although probably not long enough for large cuts like a whole brisket. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LRYNUU

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I am also an owner of the 12" version.

I buy more stuff that will require it's use. I love that knife.

I have a few Victorinox knives, slicing and boning knife, that I really like. The slicing knife that Donw lists is what I have, was $60, but slices great and has a huge blade. Great for brisket! The boning knife slices smaller cuts so well I’ve actually started using it much more. This knife wasn’t too pricey, and for the price, I feel it is great.

I use the knife sleeves for both of these knives. As they stay in my drawer, separate from my knife block set. They work well at protecting the edge as well as my hand when I grab other items in the drawer!

Comment

I would say follow the advice in this video with one exception. I do like a good Santoku.

For storage I have some plastic sleeves and I embedded neodymium magnets in oak strips mounted to the side of a cabinet to hold them.

Comment

My Blocks. Blades are stored facing upwards to protect edges. Some knives were in use and are not in the block.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I will look at all of them. I think I need to add a slicer first and will likely order one of those and a blade protector, maybe even when of the rolls. I like that idea, no offense to my wife, but she hates cooking, and when she does, she is really abusive to our kitchen tools. So, I want to keep a set that she can not easily access by just opening a drawer. Curious as to why a 9 inch over a say, 8 or 10. comfort and fit. I am guessing I want a strong kitchen scissor as well for some bones on poultry, butcher string...

Comment

If you're left handed, be careful when buying serrated knives. The ones that have a bevel that faces left (when in your hand as for normal use) will tend to curve during the cut unless you consciously correct for that. Ideally the bevel should face to the right for a lefty to not have trouble.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto for any japanese knife. They make left handed versions, but with a single bevel, using the wrong handed knife can be a bit dangerous if you're not careful. And it eliminates the benefit of a single bevel.

Cooks Illustrated has done quite a few reviews on most types of knives. I’ve picked up a few of the top recommended knives and am really happy with them, both on quality and price point.

And, yes, a good pair of kitchen shears would be useful.

Comment

I got the following knives a year or two back, based on recommendations here, and do not regret any of them. I keep them either in an edge guard, or in a plastic draw insert that holds the knives on edge, away from each other.

Rapala Fillet knife - amazingly sharp:

Dexter Boning knife - I use this more than any other for cutting up meat. I went to the link from a past purchase, and while it still says Dexter in the picture the description now says "Basic":

Victorinox 12" granton blade slicer. I love love live this slicer - it lives in a blade guard.

I also ordered this cheap set to replace all our dull and ruined knives, due to my wife using them on a glass cutting board, which has now been banned from use as a cutting board:

Those are decent knives, very cheap, and all come with a blade guard for storage. For my other knives, I use things like this:

Or this:

I use this sharpening steel to reset the edge on my top 3 knives (fillet, boning and slicer):

Comment

Like some of the others, I use blade guards. I also have the Rapala boning knife and love it. If I were starting a set, I'd go with a 9 - 9.5 inch Chef's knife, a paring knife, and a bread knife.

Oh...and a Chinese cleaver. That thing's awesome...

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post all the videos and the links. I am also glad that people are not saying super expensive brand names. Not that they are not pretty. I definitely feel I have a bit better understanding on which ones I need to focus on first. Now to add to my want list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here