Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new slicer

I need a new slicing knife and I'm leaning toward a 12" Dexter-Russel. They make a 12" Scalloped-blade Roast Slicer and a 12" Duo-Edge Roast Slicer. Pros and cons between those two types of blades and does anyone have experience (good or bad) with either of these models? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Duo-Edge: http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/...ofgrip-handle/

Scalloped blade: http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/...353-v140-12sc/
    Last edited by BoomerSooner; April 19, 2019, 10:42 PM. Reason: Added links

I cannot comment on those. I’ve got this slicer and it’s been great for about 18 months.i know others here have the same one.

Comment

• BoomerSooner
      BoomerSooner commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I went back to my OP and added links to each model of knife and yours look very similar to the D-R Duo-Edge. I'll definitely take a close look at it.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 2 of the Victorinox knives as well, love them.

This is the one I have, very similar to jfmorris https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUFER6G...mazingribs--20

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun.

If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like.

For jokes, go to this thread.

Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here.

We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

Comment

• BoomerSooner
      BoomerSooner commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link to your knife - now I have another one to consider! Also, I appreciate all the thread links. Glad to be here.

Looking at your two candidates, I'd go with the Duo-Edge, if for nothing else it would be the easiest to sharpen and maintain. It is also best for slicing thin, I got mine for slicing bacon. Here is a read on that type of knife:

Comment

Just check Craig's List:

Click image for larger version

Name:	table saw.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	667303

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the table saw my Dad bought around 1980. It's now in my shop.

• BoomerSooner
        BoomerSooner commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have a ShopSmith... maybe I need to give that some thought! :-)

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
      Just check Craig's List:

Click image for larger version

Name:	table saw.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	667303
      Way to go man. Now the secret is out so I may as well help now. My advice, don't use a dado blade for slicing.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't use momo blades either.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/colle...-270mm10-6inch

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        For $575 I'd have to slice a lot of brisket.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I don’t have a slicer yet, but we have an 8” Victorinox chef’s knife that has become our go to. I plan on getting the Victorinox slicer soon.

Comment

I really like the Dexter knives. My slicer is one of their white handles aerated models. I like them because they are sharp but cheap enough to replace when needed. It does a great job slicing brisket and slicing bacon from slabs.

Comment

A member posted this one that was on sale some time ago and I went for it. Beautifully crafted knives that I'm now filling up our knife block with. https://www.heritagesteel.us/catalog...r/category/37/

Comment

I have a 12" Dexter, serrated blade, non-scalloped sides, white handle, and I love that thing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here