Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered a new knife - someone crunched my baby. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered a new knife - someone crunched my baby. :(

So back around Christmas we had some friends here for 2 weeks and somehow my main prep knife got a boo boo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_062216-X2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	663690

This was my first ever "nice" knife, and while i know it isn't spectacular, I was pretty steamed. But, I've continued to use it and just gritted my teeth.

So yesterday I saw a special on Falsebook about a knife for sale on Amazon. It was regularly $130, but was being offered for "half price" with a one-time personally-generated code from their website - and no, I didn't have to sign up for a mailing list or give them my information or what-have-you. And I happened to have a $58 credit in my Amazon account for a FireTV 4k I returned this week, so... I decided to go for it. Here is the link:

It looks decent, and it was payday, and I figured, "For under $20 out of pocket, it's worth a shot, right?" Right.

Interestingly enough, when I put it in my cart I decided to check on something and I increased the number in my cart to 2, then to 3, and sure enough, the discount applied to all of them. Sweet!

So I went ahead and purchased 2, total out of pocket $76.81 with tax and all. I was kinda crossing my fingers wondering whether they would cancel my order or one of my knives since I wasn't sure I was supposed to be able to apply the discount to more than one item, but I did get a shipping notification, so we'll see, eh?

Interestingly, it claims an 8-12º sharpening angle. My old one above was 15º, so it said.

I'll post some more pics when they get here, and a quick review. Changing my diet a lot lately, so doing a lot more veggie slicing and such.

Not sure about the knives you’ve ordered but there are a lot of knock off Japanese knives out there that appear to be true folded Damascus steel but are really just an etched finish stainless junk. Many are light weight with thin blades, thus they nick easily like what happened to your knife.

Good luck with the purchase, hope you checked it out. A good knife is a must if you’re serious about cooking !!!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      How can you tell if it is true Damascus or acid etched? Without trying to sand off layers, that is? I see one review on Amazon for my Zhen (the chipped one above) that says it isn't true Damascus, but is acid etched, however the seller responded and vehemently defended the steel as true Japanese Damascus. I don't know how to tell.

• SmokeyGator
      SmokeyGator commented
      Editing a comment
      Price. True Damascus steel is folded many times. It’s labor intensive even with power hammers. A small folding pocketknife with a Damascus blade will be at least $200 if not more.

That can be ground out and back good as new.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Requires some work but not difficult.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Find a good knife sharpener and see what they can do. It will come out, but will be some work.

I have owned and used some EXPENSIVE kitchen Knives. BUT!! I will always favor and use the OLD Chicago cutlery as a favorite. Cheap to buy in junk stores but usually reasonable price. Easy to sharpen and keep sharp and to me personally they fit my hands perfectly. The wooden handles are a natural feel.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      MR. Bones. The old Chicago Cutlery and Hickory are from a time when FUNCTION was foremost. They don't seem like much now but back in the day they were a standard of excellence. There must be a billion of them out there looking for new homes and a continued existence.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      My old nickname at work used to be Retro because I liked to repair and run the old things. Cast Iron-motorcycles-cars, guns and knives. I pick up the old things and it seems they want to tell me their stories. I did a 30 year career all over the world because I built a reputation on running the old things.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently found an old Chicago butcher's knife in the bin at a Salvation Army store. $2. 😎

8° to 12°. Hmmmm... the technology there seems off. What knife is it.

in the end of you love it than that’s all that matters. Knifes are very personal. You satisfaction at that price is a true value and bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
      8° to 12°. Hmmmm... the technology there seems off. What knife is it.

in the end of you love it than that’s all that matters. Knifes are very personal. You satisfaction at that price is a true value and bargain.
      What you say is so true. Knives are like personalities, they are all slightly different to each individual. We just took delivery of a full set of CutCo knives. Been wanting them for a very long time for many reasons, not the least of which is how they fit my hands and how well they function for the task they are used for.

Comment

Cutco ROCKS. We inherited a set from my wife Step Mother. They do hold an edge.
        I have a knife in the drawer that we bought 45 years ago at a State Fair. One of those the guy cuts beer cans and nails with and then slices paper thin Tomato Slices as a demo. That knife is still as sharp as the day I bought it. It doesn't have a spot of rust and sharp as a razor after all these years. Kind of unbelievable. It is a no name--but will also always be a go to .

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
          So back around Christmas we had some friends here for 2 weeks and somehow my main prep knife got a boo boo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_062216-X2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	663690

This was my first ever "nice" knife, and while i know it isn't spectacular, I was pretty steamed. But, I've continued to use it and just gritted my teeth.

So yesterday I saw a special on Falsebook about a knife for sale on Amazon. It was regularly $130, but was being offered for "half price" with a one-time personally-generated code from their website - and no, I didn't have to sign up for a mailing list or give them my information or what-have-you. And I happened to have a $58 credit in my Amazon account for a FireTV 4k I returned this week, so... I decided to go for it. Here is the link:

It looks decent, and it was payday, and I figured, "For under $20 out of pocket, it's worth a shot, right?" Right.

Interestingly enough, when I put it in my cart I decided to check on something and I increased the number in my cart to 2, then to 3, and sure enough, the discount applied to all of them. Sweet!

So I went ahead and purchased 2, total out of pocket $76.81 with tax and all. I was kinda crossing my fingers wondering whether they would cancel my order or one of my knives since I wasn't sure I was supposed to be able to apply the discount to more than one item, but I did get a shipping notification, so we'll see, eh?

Interestingly, it claims an 8-12º sharpening angle. My old one above was 15º, so it said.

I'll post some more pics when they get here, and a quick review. Changing my diet a lot lately, so doing a lot more veggie slicing and such.
          I just read one of the reviews and have to comment!!
          The reviewer says he circumsized a fly mid-flight and the fly never even knew it.
          I for real think I'm going to order one of these babies!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here