Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shun Boning Knife not as sharp as inexpensive Rapala Fillet Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shun Boning Knife not as sharp as inexpensive Rapala Fillet Knife

Well, color me surprised, as they say. My new Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife is not as sharp as the Rapala Fillet knife I've used for years.

I purchased the Shun at Williams Sonoma and can take it back there for free sharpening, but a sales clerk there (also a professional chef) told me not to have my knives sharpened at our local WS because the guy takes off too much edge in the process. She gave me the name of a shop here that only sharpens stuff. Apparently all the local chefs use that shop which has a quick turnaround time for chefs/businesses.

So I'll go and have the Shun sharpened to see if it performs better. I had expected it to slice a gnat's eyelash in half with no probs, but I don't think it would. It has a tougher time cleaning up a raw brisket than my Rapala does. Kudos to Rapala, though.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Kathryn

Sometimes more is simply not better. I bought a $20 Victorinox boning knife about a year ago. It's beginning to dull just a bit after repeated use but still plenty sharp. Those old Rapala's are the same, had a half dozen of them for filleting fish over the years.

Never-the-less I do like saying "Gokujo" ..... hiiiiii

Comment

No, don't have name branded knives. Which Rapala fillet knife do you have?

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the Rapala Soft Grip 7 inch fillet knife, HawkerXP . I sharpen it occasionally myself; it holds an edge well.

I've used the Rapalas for years. In the rural areas I've lived in professional knife sharpeners are rare. I just can't make myself spend the money for a great knife then subject it to my poor knife sharpening skills.

Comment

It happens unfortunately. As you have probably read, a KAI or SHUN knife, same company, has a free lifetime sharpening service. One for the US is in Tualatin, Oregon

Comment

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Is the shipping free? I bet not.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          NapMaster and Donw , the customer has to pay shipping to/from the Kai/Shun facility and must also pay a processing fee which is $5 for the first knife and $2 for each additional knife. So it would probably cost about $20-$30 for shipping to/from plus the processing fee.

Kathryn

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Thanks and I figured as much. I suspect you could get it sharpened locally cheaper.

I have a filet knife made by Calcutta. It's so sharp you won't even feel it cut you. I think it was $15 at Frisco Rod and Gun in Hatteras.

Comment

Rapala for life here.

Comment

As a fisherman I own two rapalas and a very similar Wusthoff. One is in the kitchen, and the other two are with fishing gear. I see no reason to spend more on any others. They hold a good edge and I have been using those lousy cheap handheld sharpeners on them for years. I don't feel guilty because they are so inexpensive.

Comment

Are saying to shun the Shun?

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d say shun is definitely better than most, but that betterness is outrun by the cost. Unless it’s the shun that fits your hand best, then it evens out.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with you, Polarbear777 . I chose the Shun Classic because I liked the feel of it in my hand. It's comfortable to use and a good weight for me. I just wish it was sharper.

Sharp comment as always, CaptainMike .

Kathryn

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well it’s pretty easy to sharpen or get someone to do it. I’m sure it will be great once ready to go.

I tried the rapela and didn’t like it.

Factory edge is never any good. I always reprofile myself.

My current boning knife is a dalstrong that can shave hair.

I got a great edge in an old hickory straight steel boning knife, but one guest tosses it in the sink and you have to deal with the rust.

Comment

Shun factory sharpens to 16°. Which one do you have? The Premier, Kanso or classic. All should be plenty sharp.

I use the wustoff Ikon line and the Mac Professional line. I am very happy with both. I have different knifes from each line and put them through the ringer weekly.

Yes knifes are first a tool but they are also a personal thing. How much they cost is only one factor of overall value. I know many here disagree but they just are. Just like cars, shoes and bark. It’s personal.

if you are unhappy with it I suggest you return it for something you may like.

Try Mac. They are thin and light as well. Question. Why are you using a boner to trim a brisket? May I suggest something longer and a little wider. It makes quick work of a brisket.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have two other Shun knives, HouseHomey, which are beautifully sharp and which I really enjoy using. They suit my needs perfectly and fit my hand, which is very important to me. It's just this Shun boning knife that was a ringer.

I use my 8" Shun chef knife for most of the brisket trimming task but like using the boning knife for the tricky spots. Plus I just like using it. I feel like a samurai with that curved blade.

Kathryn

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                Well, color me surprised, as they say. My new Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife is not as sharp as the Rapala Fillet knife I've used for years.

I purchased the Shun at Williams Sonoma and can take it back there for free sharpening, but a sales clerk there (also a professional chef) told me not to have my knives sharpened at our local WS because the guy takes off too much edge in the process. She gave me the name of a shop here that only sharpens stuff. Apparently all the local chefs use that shop which has a quick turnaround time for chefs/businesses.

So I'll go and have the Shun sharpened to see if it performs better. I had expected it to slice a gnat's eyelash in half with no probs, but I don't think it would. It has a tougher time cleaning up a raw brisket than my Rapala does. Kudos to Rapala, though.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Kathryn
                I attended Myron Mixon's BBQ class a few years ago when I first got into smoking meat. And he encouraged us to use cheap Rapala Fillet knives. That's what he uses. And that's what I've used ever since. They're great.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                  So I'll go and have the Shun sharpened to see if it performs better. I had expected it to slice a gnat's eyelash in half with no probs, but I don't think it would.
                  Kathryn
                  Shun uses good steel so you probably just got a less than perfect factory edge on this one. My shun is amazing, but given the price, the rest of my stuff is dalstrong or spyderco.

Its very difficult to objectively measure performance with different edge profiles. Sharpen them all the same and compare.

And if someone doesn’t mind resharpening often, a Misen or rapala may outperform a shun if the ergonomics work for them.

Comment

• mnavarre
                    mnavarre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've had my Misen chef's knife for over a year and I sharpened it for the first time a couple of days ago, and it really didn't need it. Great knife for $65. My Rapala gets sharpened all the time with the hand sharpener that came with it, but I abuse that knife badly. Spectacular knife for $15.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hadn't heard of Misen, Polarbear777 . I just visited their website. Very tempting.

Kathryn

Rapala!

Comment

Kathryn you're dead in my wheel-house here. I currently have a half dozen filet knives because I do guide-level fishing as a hobby, and have adopted using the knives for all kinds of atypical uses.

Rapala is a good knife, and there's one in my kitchen drawer, and I hone it before every use. It has it's place - it's the relative stiffness of the varying knives that drive when I use them. I don't use the Rapala a lot.

I've sought out expensive filet knives, and been happy or unhappy, and none were really better or worse than the Rapala or the classic from Finland.

The best filet knife I have ever held in my hands is the wood-handle brass end-cap 10" from Browning - a brand now owned by BassPro. There is an 8" version without the rat-tail full tang and without the cap, but the same 420 blade. Cabela's Alaskan series is almost as good, but a bit pricey @ $ 110.00 - you have to pay for the word 'Alaska'.

The 10" Browning is so revered, it's kind of hiding. I break that out when only the best will do.

The take-away, my advice, is that when a fish filet knife is needed, go to a sportsman's shop and buy their (almost) best. It won't cost quite as much as a boutique retailer, but you'll be surprised how much better it will be.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good tip, JGo37 . Thanks!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here