Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin' a knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin' a knife.

Besides trying to get my wood shop set up, I am working on making knives. To that end, I took a one day class on making knives via stock removalllast Saturday. That means taking a piece of suitable steel close to the right size and removing everything that is not a part of the knife.

The class was in Richmond VA, and the lead instructor, (of three), was Brent Stubblefield of Join or Die Knives. Some of you may recognize his name because he competed in Forged in Fire.

The class started with introductions followed by a brief technical and safety talk. Then down to business as each of the eight students was handed a piece of 1084 steel, (1.5" x 8" x 1/8"). One of the instructors made a knife along with us to demonstrate technique. Here is a brief synopsis - draw a pattern, cut it out on a bandsaw, grind close to final shape, mark the center of the cutting edge as a reference point, grind the sides flat, grind the bevel, heat treat, sand, aaaand temper. We didn't have time to temper, so most decided to cord wrap after tempering at home. I will finish mine when I have the necessary equipment in the shop, and what I need is working. BTW - sanding should be after tempering, but that was not possible in a one day class because tempering requires heating the blade at 400* twice.

I still have to move my table saw and wood lathe to the shop, and I will have to either replace or repair the feed rollers on the planer, so it will be a while before I get to putting a handle on the blade I made.

Was it worthwhile? For me, the answer is yes. I learned making a stock removal knife ain't hard, but doing it right will take a while to master. And I now have the confidence to move forward in this new adventure.

I tempered the blade in the oven Sunday and sanded with a higher grit yesterday, but will probably go a bit higher before I am satisfied. And I am enjoying the process, so I will probably wind up making more knives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190317_090746_HDR.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	652423

Nice knife. I have wanted to do this for a while.. I find the new knives on the market are not as good quality of steel as the old ones..

Comment

I have recently become obsessed with watching Forged in Fire. It is amazing what some of these guys can make in just a few hours. Bladesmithing is definitely a hobby that I just don't think that I could ever get into but I sure have respect for the people that do.

Comment

Nice job. I have taken two knife classes with LT Wright in Ohio. I can tell you that the experience is worthwhile and you walk away with a beautiful knife. The first class has you cutting, grinding, tempering, putting on the scales, sharpening and polishing. You walk out with a nice flat grind knife. The second class is a bit more advanced, and you will work on the scandi grind, a different handle shape, using corby bolts. The group is humble and some of the best people you can work with. They offer classes throughout the year. You can find out more here: https://www.ltwrightknives.com/.

Comment

I feel the same way as TechSmoker, in another lifetime I worked with metal as a fabricator but never got into blade making. However I too admire the craftsmanship of making a good blade and the metal work that is involved. Good luck with your craft, let us see the finished product !!!

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            It will be a while before I get all the remaining tools to the shop, so it will be a while before I finish the knife. And thanx!

Haven't done this kind of metal working since high school. I did enjoy it all. Working the lathe and milling machines, welding and forming. We didn't make knives but did make and heat treat chisels and other parts of required projects. Good times, thanks!

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Making knives in high school is not a sharp thing

Makin tools is always cool! As much as the knife is admirable I suspect something special with the handle is coming. Wood appears to be your passion & forte. 🕶

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanx - I do have a few ideas.

Did you have an end use for the knife you patterned?
          Looks good so far.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a cross between a knife for butchering a deer and skinning one.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here