Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got some new knives - Emeril Lagasse carbon stainless - Are they good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a cheap(ish) set of knives that fit your hand and are comfortable for you to use beat the hell out of an expensive knife you're not comfortable using. I don't think I've spent more than $250 on the knives that I use all the time, and that's been put together as I learn what I like. And my steak knives are still from a crappy knife set my Mom gave me 25 years ago.

Comment

You know what though. I’m 64, and I spent most of my life cooking and living as you do now, using whatever knives. And then I bought a set of knives for about what you paid for these. And I wasn’t happy, so I got a couple of those Victorinoxes. And I was still dissatisfied (yeah, I know a lot of folks like those).

I got a Global G-2 chef’s knife, on sale. And I tell you this, I should have got that knife or one like it when I was young. You only need one good chef’s knife. It will last a lifetime.

ALL the other knives are stored away. I did buy a couple more Globals, but that was MKS. I didn’t need them.

Keep the set; there are some steak knives in there, and the scissors, and paring knives are disposable. But get one good chef’s knife. I GUARANTEE you will say, "Oh. Now I understand."

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. One really good chef knife and all the rest don’t matter.

Though a couple pairs of really good shears are right behind the chef knife for me.

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        So I looked up the Global G-2. Is there a size you recommend? Never mind I see ther 8” long.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        You can get that knife for under $100. I looked it up, I paid $65. Amazon.

People praise Globals for their lightness and balance, and criticize the handles, saying they are slippery. I’ve never had a problem with the handles being slippery, I didn’t know it was a problem until I read it in a review.

Any knife you pick, you will read reviews saying it is sharp, and other reviews saying it won’t stay sharp! Get a good sharpener, I got the one that says Global so I know it is the right one.
        Last edited by Mosca; February 21, 2019, 09:59 PM.

I have a Misen chef knife that I use a lot because it’s comfortable for quick use. I don’t like the steel but it’s so easy to re sharpen it’s no big deal and I’ll use it on things I shouldn't. I have a shun chef and a dahlstrong chef as well. My favorite was the shun but the dahlstrong is now my go to.

As long as the steel is not so soft that your edge can’t be formed when sharpening or rolls right away with use you should be fine with frequent resharpening. Get a sharpener that is easy to use and keep it nearby. There are few things more dangerous than a dull knife that slips on you.

i keep a spderco sharpmaker in the kitchen to touch things up when needed. I have an electric for the cheaper knives also. Keep them sharp and you’ll be fine.

And if you later find a chefs knife with good steel that fits well in your hand, you can add that and keep that in a sheath in a drawer with your brisket sword to use when you have to mow through a ton of veggies etc.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        I absolutely adore my Misen, It might not be the best knife ever, but it just comes to hand so well, and I've not had to do anything but hone it in the year I've had it. And my wife, the Destroyer Of Knives, uses it. For the $50 I spent on it I couldn't be happier.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been fighting off MKS pushing me to buy the Dalstrong Shogun series 8" chef, but my resistance is weakening. Recently I've been using my Chinese cleaver for practically everything in order to get more used to the feel of it. It's way better than any chef's knife for smashing garlic or ginger before mincing.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; December 29, 2020, 11:04 AM.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Misen upgraded their steel so I did get the newer version and it’s much better.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here