Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking recommendations for electric deli-style slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking recommendations for electric deli-style slicer

Greetings fellow Pitmaster Peeps!

We have tried several "household" deli-style electric slicers from Amazon in the up to $120 range, none of which do the job we're looking for. Main purpose is slicing meats and bulk cheese to avoid inflated deli prices.

Thickness adjustment(s) have been biggest complaint - won't 'lock' into place for consistent slicing; capacity of what can be sliced also a letdown (less than 7").

What would you all recommend?

Budget somewhat flexible, perhaps $300 +/- ??

Peace,
    Nunyaz

Check craigslist or FB marketplace for commercial slicers if you have the room for one. A friend gave me an old Hobart slicer that needed some work to get going and I found an online resource for parts and advice. For about $250 bucks in parts and a little elbow grease I have a fantastic slicer that's probably worth $1,000 bucks or more. And my source said don't be afraid of older models as they were built better and parts are still readily available for them. These things are heavy and take up some room, but I have mine on a stainless restaurant cart that let's me move and stow it easily.

A not so great pick of the setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slicer.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1377285

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree - most big name vintage slicers such as Hobart have good parts availability. I have a 1940 American Slicing machine - a little harder to find parts for it but it is a rock solid unit.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Why does it not surprise me you have a 1940 slicing machine…….😂

• nunyaz
      nunyaz commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike - I hear ya about us older models being better built My HVAC guy says the same about our 32-year-old AC system! (In fact, he has dibs on the old one if/when we ever HAVE TO replace it, says he'll put it in his AC museum 😂

I have a KWS 10" slicer that I was gifted as a birthday present. It's currently running $383.00 on Amazon.
    The one "con" I have with it (and likely all 10" slicers) is that the length of travel for the slide isn't as long as I'd like it to be. You found this out with the home use slicers. I suspect you'd have to go to a 12" slicer to get that long travel. And it's $600 price tag.

See my post about how I use it here (page 35, Post #515)

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...22-2023/page35

Other than that, I love this thing. Big and heavy, makes very quick work of bacon. Heavy duty thickness dial, does not move while working, producing very consistent, repeatable results.

If you are going to be slicing cheese, I'd suggest trying to order it with the teflon blade.
    Last edited by McFlyfi; February 13, 2023, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• nunyaz
      nunyaz commented
      Editing a comment
      McFlyfi - amazing! Just was looking at the KWS 10" on Amazon It's certainly on the 'short list' now, thank you brother!

Try Home Depot, they have some good ones.

Comment

• nunyaz
      nunyaz commented
      Editing a comment
      StrikeBBQ - I would never have thought to look for this at HD ... eye-opener, for sure!

Many Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here