Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Needed An Easy To Use And Idiot Proof Knife Sharpener….Found It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Needed An Easy To Use And Idiot Proof Knife Sharpener….Found It!

You might remember that a year ago I bought a nice set of Wusthof knives and storage block. Shortly before that I bought a Work Sharp E-5 electric knife sharpener for the J. E. Henckels knives I had. While the Work Sharp is a great knife sharpener, it just wasn’t for me. In addition to learning to use it properly, I just didn’t want to mess with storing it and plugging it in, blah, blah, blah. I know, it’s not that big of a deal, but I want something quick and easy I can just grab out of the drawer. I wanted to be able to give the knife I was using a quick once over if needed while cooking. I have found a good one!

I’ll never be an expert with knives or the art of sharpening them, have no desire to. I called Wusthof and asked them if they can recommend a good hand held that would work for me, and at the correct angles. They make a few different types of sharpeners, including the hand held model I wound up buying…it’s only $35. Price don’t mean squat though if it doesn’t work very well. I’m happy to report this little hand held got my knives just as sharp as the $150. Work Sharp did, and it’s fool proof! Like most other hand helds you just give it a few strokes at a 90* angle. This one is a 2 stage, with a coarse slot for reshaping the edge, and another slot for the fine grind. It also has a 2nd set of slots for Asian knives, such as my Santoku knife. I’ve had a few cheap Walmart hand helds over the years and they didn’t come close to this one, as far as putting a sharp edge on my knives.

I gave my chef’s knife, utility knife and a few of my non-serrated steak knives about 3-4 passes through each slot to try it out…..they needed sharpening anyway. I was extremely pleased with my results. The first test I tried was to shave some arm hair and it did, very little pressure needed either. That night I tried my utility knife with cutting some tomatoes, always a good test for sharpness. It cut right through the skin as a good sharp blade should. Before posting this today, I wanted to see if I could cut some paper with it one handed…….hell yeah it did! In my opinion, this would make a great every day sharpener for the average person. I can also recommend it for the more advanced users out there who maybe use stones, or expensive sharpeners for their knives. It would be great for your touch ups, when you don’t wanna mess with the usual sharpening routine. If you’re interested it’s available on the Wusthof website and a few other places.
    https://www.wusthof.com/products/uni...ryID=undefined

The plastic cover slides over the slots you don’t want to use.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	97D3D757-B98E-4245-B133-66AA81DFF07A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	1363122
    The bottom has a soft rubber non-slip pad.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EA2CE726-73F6-4BBA-80DF-DFBAF42EB90A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	1363120

Click image for larger version  Name:	9C58FCBE-F721-4B5F-B567-33CD00480514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	1363119

After sharpening, my utility knife easily cut this small piece of paper using one hand.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C082D6A8-BB87-421F-9D30-D73BF1803773.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1363121
    You can tell it was well made and has a little heft to it by holding and using it. If you’re in the market for one, I can highly recommend it.

Last edited by Panhead John; January 17, 2023, 01:14 PM.

The ultimate in lazy and foolproof: since my knives are Cutco, all I have to do is to call or email my local rep, and he comes to sharpen them for me. For free.

This does come with a separate risk, however. Chatting with David is always fun and he’s very good about pointing out other knives I might just need…

I do have their handheld as well, so I can touch up the straight edged ones.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Can’t beat that kind of service!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I was gonna say just find a quality knife store near you and let them sharpen your knives. I have one 3 miles from me and it only costs $3.50 per blade.

• swartzster
      swartzster commented
      Editing a comment
      I have Cutco, and didn’t know you could just call them. I thought they had to be sent in. Pretty cool

I had one of those. Gave it away after it buggered up the edge to my chef knife. Maybe operator error. I now use a worksharp ken onion edition.
    Last edited by texastweeter; January 17, 2023, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      +3 on Work Sharp Ken Onion. Keeps knives dangerously sharp.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I pay about $60 every time I get 7 knives sharpened. I could almost buy a Work Sharp after after two visits to the sharpening guy. How steep is the learning curve on the Ken Onion model?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      WayneT whelp, I figured it out quick like so...

Hey John - ya know that every time someone makes something fool proof, they come up with a better, (or is it worse), fool.

Comment

I have that exact sharpener for my Wusthof Knives and run them through the fine slot (about 5 swipes) after every use. I will give them both slots about every 5 or 6 months. The knives stay extremely sharp.

My daughter the Dr. came home and proceeded to cut her finger with one and exclaimed, "Wow, those are sharp!" I said "Yea, they're knives. That's how they are."

Have fun!

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Honing rods don't sharpen, they just re-straighten the edge. Cutting anything will always have *some* effect on the cutting edge, can't be helped. My anecdotal experience is that when I hone regularly (not every time, but maybe every other time, every third or so) I go a lot longer before I need to do an official resharpen on the Ken Onion. I figure it's kind of a "you can pay me now, or pay me later" deal, and don't begrudge the few seconds it takes to hone every couple uses.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        (cont'd) But to be clear, I am not one who says you MUST use one! I started getting a bit more observant about using it after we replaced our old motley collection of cheap knives with the Mercer set, and that's been workin' fer me.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m with bep35 , I’m just gonna see how using the “fine” slot works instead of the honing rod. They probably do about the same thing anyway.

Happy this one works for you John. I really like my Work Sharp E5 after having used just about every type of sharpener out there. Whetstones, a KME manual system, and Edge Apex, several manual pull-throughs like the Wusthof, several Chef Choice electric ones (Tricor, XL, ?) and a service that unfortunately closed. I'm probably forgetting some.

What I've found is that knife manufacturers use a wide variety of bevel angles, steel materials, etc. that challenge we home users who usually have a range of different makes and models. Having a sharpener made by your knife manufacturer is a good move and takes a lot of the variables out of the sharpening challenge.

Also, I would use your honing rod before every use - a few swipes to keep the edge and reduce the amount of metal the sharpener will be taking off the blades of your knives.
      May your nicks and cuts be few and far between!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks GG! Good info.

And for pete's sake, PJ, please shave only arm hair with those sharp knives, OK...??

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I was gonna shave my legs with em, but my Lady Norelco is much quicker.

Looking good!

Comment

I've been looking at electric knife sharpeners.

Mostly 3 stage.

So far I like the Presto pro model:

Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener, Multi/None https://a.co/d/hgKXlmL

Comment

I need to hit my knives up, it’s been about a year.

Comment

Excellent review Panhead John. Keep it up and they might put you on the payroll.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Richie!

Rubber mallet, no need to sharpen a knife. Pound it through. Top that with a roofing hammer.

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
              Bbqmikeg commented
              Editing a comment
              I string my knives to the bumper and drive till they’re sparky sharp!

• swartzster
              swartzster commented
              Editing a comment
              Rubber mallet in one hand, and a PBR in the other?

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, A PBR Pounder

I have one from Wusthof but mine only has two slots. For a couple of years it worked really well or so I thought. I was cleaning my Victorinox slicer and my sponge caught on the blade. After finding my glasses (have to do that now) I looked closer at the blade and there were four or five very small "nicks". We use a wooden knife block and always hand wash so I couldn't figure it out. I looked at some of other knives, 4 steak knives and 1 paring, all had very small nicks.

I figured I was using it incorrectly somehow, maybe applying too much pressure was my thought. I never did exactly figure it out although I did move the sharpener to the garage and went back to my Chefs Choice. Before I posted this I went to look at the knives and none have any nicks. It was probably user error but just a FYI for others.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here