Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak Knives

I need a set of steak knives. Not an entire set of knives, just steak knives. Wayfair has a lot of Henckels at pretty deep discounts right now, just wondering what you guys think. I can't afford really expensive ones at the moment, so I am just looking for a serviceable set. Thanks in advance.

Following this one.

Comment

Having kids, we didn't want to invest in high cost steak knives either. We went with the Chicago Cutlery steak knives, model B144. They're pretty cheap, but still pretty decent quality. I'd recommend them.

Comment

These have gotten good reviews. I prefer serrated steak knives over the straight edge type myself. I like the way they cut a little better. 6 for $22.00 and there’s a 5% off coupon. German steel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S3JKYRP...Q1D3MB91ZE37V3

Click image for larger version  Name:	F6E942EA-337C-4EA0-A08B-A90041AFD4EB.png Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	1241178
        Last edited by Panhead John; June 23, 2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• JohnPaul
          JohnPaul commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually the Amazon Basics 8 piece set for the same price and they are actually pretty alright. I have some really nice chef's knives, but for steak knives I cheaped out and I'm not disappointed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Are they right or left hand?
          Looks like just what I need.

• JohnPaul
          JohnPaul commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv they are Ambidextral, they don't care which hand you use

Edit: Don't have any clue what the one star review folks received, but mine are sharp and have never shown any signs of rust.
          Last edited by JohnPaul; June 24, 2022, 11:46 AM.

I have some nice Wusthof steak knives (and the rest of the set), and I prefer the cheapie no name steak knives that I have had since I was 21. Not so with the other knives, though. Maybe it is because I am trying to achieve different things when I am cutting ingredients for cooking that I want to turn out just right as opposed to cutting something just to fit inside my mouth, that is already done, in a civilized enough manner at home after a few beers.
        Last edited by Mark V; June 23, 2022, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          My Wusthof steak knives are straight edge and not serrated. I’m with you Mark, I prefer regular old serrated steak knives better. It just feels weird cutting a steak with the Wusthoffs on a ceramic plate.

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John, you nailed it, my preference is serrated. I should have said that.

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John I agree, using a nice plain edge knife on a ceramic surface just feels so wrong.

klflowers These are really just sharp table knives. Just pick a set that looks nice. Even the cheapest plastic knives cut steak.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe your steaks, but I have cooked a few that needed to be cut into little bitty pieces in order to chew them lol

I have these and love them. $49 on Amazon. I paid $59 back in 2018.
        Last edited by Rod; June 23, 2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I picked these up from Marshall’s or Winners a few years back.
          They get after it in the meat cutting dept
          Price on the box says $34.99 but I’m pretty sure they were marked down to half that price on clearance
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            These are perfect. Six knives, look good, low price.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca Please remember, we should always try and steer fellow members to the most expensive available option.

I just go to the Outback restaurant and tell my wife, sorry, to bring a big purse.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I uh, used to have a full cutlery set from various restaurants but mainly Outback. To be fair I did ask if I could have most of them, and generally the staff and even a few times the manager said go for it. Sadly the new outback knives suck, wish I still had the old school ones. The new ones are glorified serrated butter knives. Longhorn will sell you a set for pretty cheap if they still do that, much better steak knives IMO

Victoria Knox steak knife set on amazon is about 30 bucks and its solid

Comment

• Jkahnert
            Jkahnert commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Ordered the 6 pack for $30. Looks solid!

Been very happy with these. They’re very similar to the AR logo’s set. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I think all suggestions so far have been good. I don’t care so much for brand name, but size. I did buy the ones that are sold with the AR logo, but sold them again. Main reason? They’re HUGE. I’m a big guy, with BIG hands, and these just feel overly clumsy on the table. Not so much by weight (they’re light), but try fitting them in with any fork or plates? They just look displaced. The suggestions so far all seem to be smaller in physical dimensions which gets thumbs up from me.

Perhaps a slightly different angle from an advice perspective, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

And yes, I prefer serrated knives too

Comment

My suggestion goes with a serrated blade…
              steak knives double as Amazon package openers…
              staple removers…
              electrical tape cutters…
              various style screwdrivers…
              pruners…
              and yes, occasionally cutting steak…….
              the serrated blade will still cut the meat on steak night…
              Last edited by Washblue; June 24, 2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

If you've got a restaurant supply shop nearby those hefty, wood handle, stainless serrated blade, 5" "steakhouse" style run about $15 a dozen.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Unc, there is a restaurant supply store that I frequent. I'll check with them. I take back some if what I said about you back during the Bronco conversations...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here